[comp.databases] Ingres embedded SQL C

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (08/23/88)

In article <6684@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> remon@mgm.mit.edu (Remon Lapid) writes:
>For reasons unknown to me, the embedded SQL C product seems not to know about
>the C pre-processor directives which allow C to generate error messages and
>debugging information which relate to the original source file.  Since the
>preprocessor generates substantial amounts of C code, the line numbers
>you see on your error messages and the line numbers you have to deal with
>if you use a debugger such as dbx have little to do with the code you wrote.

I'm told the esqlc and eqc proprocessor have had the ability to put out
# line directives since Version 3.0.  I found the -# and -p options
documented on page 4-2 of the "INGRES/EMBEDDED SQL Companion Guide for
C", along with all the other preprocessor flags.

   Date: Mon, 22 Aug 88 13:44:59 pdt
   To: daveb
   Subject: RE: Net fix for ESQLC

   Dave,
   	The #line support has been in EQUEL and ESQL/C since version 3.0/23.
   The flag used to be only -#, but the -p option was added as a common use of
   the flag was in a makefile which uses # as a comment delimiter.  The flag
   generates:
   	#line <line number> "file name"

   in the generated .c file.  This flag is documented in 5.0 EQUEL and ESQL/C
   manuals in the last chapters of the manual (the chapter deals with
   preprocessing, compiling and linking).

   Known problem:
   	Blanks lines are removed from original source.  This causes
   	a minor problem in files that have large sections of host code
   	without intervening embedded code - the lines numbers of host
   	code further on in the section, may be less than the actual
   	line number in the source file.  This problem is fixed in
   	version 6.0.

-dB
"Ready when you are Raoul!"
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.com <- FINALLY!