[comp.databases] Object Oriented DB Articles ?

lmurray@wdl1.UUCP (Lance Murray) (08/25/88)

What do you people in netLand consider the five (5) best articles
on the topic of "Object Oriented Databses"? I am trying to make
up a reading list, but I don't want to prejudice the list by what
I considered important. As the list will be derived from input
by all of you "professionals in the field" the list shall represent
what "industry and academia" considers important in this new field.

The articles should represent both theory and technical milestones
in the field. A final list shall be posted as a summary of your
efforts. If you want to list more than five (5), that will be
acceptable (I may summarize the top ten (10)).

Thanks in advance.

	-lance-

lmurray@ford-wdl1
{sun, hplabs, ucbvax}!wdl1.uucp!lmurray

select sayings where level="funny" and rating < PG.

/* This request represents my own desires, and does not represent */
/* the position of Ford Aerospace (my employer).                  */

drew@cup.portal.com (08/26/88)

Boy, it's hard to find good ones.  Most are junk.  There are
the dreamers, and the purists, and the...

Here's a couple I found close at hand:
Jacob Stein, "object-Orietned Programming and Databases", Dr. Dobb's Journal,
3/88.

R.G.G. Cattell, OO DBMS Performance Measurement, Workshop on Object-Oriented
DB Systems, to appear this fall.  Predecessor paper was
"Benchmarking Simple Database Operations", W.B.Rubenstein, M.S. Kubicar, R.G.
G. Cattell, Proceedings SIGMOD 1987.

Pick out your own choice from Proceedings 1986 Intl WkShop on OO DBMS's, ACM
or IEEE #734.
Happy reading!

wlp@calmasd.GE.COM (Walter L. Peterson, Jr.) (08/28/88)

In article <3560019@wdl1.UUCP>, lmurray@wdl1.UUCP (Lance Murray) writes:
> ... I am trying to make
> up a reading list, but I don't want to prejudice the list by what
> I considered important. As the list will be derived from input
> by all of you "professionals in the field" the list shall represent
> what "industry and academia" considers important in this new field.

 Your idea of "important" is probably just as good, if not better,
than what we so-called "experts" think.  There are, currently, few
papers on the subject (as compared to say, relational systems).
Many of the papers are more of the form of reports on prototype
systems or newly released commercial products.  In most of these the
concept of "important" is very much driven by the point that the author
is trying to get accross, usually why his system is "better".

I, personally, would have a better idea of what to suggest if I knew
for what purpose you intend to use the reading list.  Is it for a
class that you are taking or for one you are teaching? Is it simply
for your own edification? Is it for background research for a commercial
venture?

Currently some of the best sources are the proceedings of the past
Object-Oriented Programming: Systems, Languages and Applications (OOPSLA)
conferences sponsored by the ACM.  There are proceedings available from
ACM for the '86 and '87 OOPSLA conferences; the third OOPSLA will be
held here in San Diego at the end of Sept.  There are also proceedings
from the European conference, ECOOP, available from Springer-Verlag
publishers.

There are some very good papers in each of these proceedings.  Some
good papers have also appeared recently in the ACM Tranactions on
Database Systems and Transactions on Office Systems.  The
Communications of the ACM have also had a few articles in the past
year. Some of the "popular" computer magazines ( DDJ, AI, etc ) have
also carried some articles in the last year or so.

As someone who is involved in the research and development of object-
oriented systems, I feel that I must share some of the blame ( if any
is due ) for the lack of good papers in the field.

Part of the problem is simply defining just what an object-oriented
database management systems is supposed to be. Maybe in that respect
you ( by that I mean all of you out there ) can help.  The readers of
this news group should be a good source of information about what
professional database users and developers expect of an OODBMS.
What do you expect? For what are you looking? Are we meeting your
expectations? What are we doing right? What are we doing wrong?

I realize that none of this directly addresses the theoretical
considerations of OODBMSs, but if we don't know what kind of systems
we should produce, we can't develop the theory needed to produce the
products. So, perhaps we can get a discussion going here on the net
about OODBMSs?

--
Walt Peterson   GE-Calma San Diego R&D
"The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those

gupta@cullsj.UUCP (Yogesh Gupta) (08/30/88)

In article <37@calmasd.GE.COM>, wlp@calmasd.GE.COM (Walter L. Peterson, Jr.) writes:
> [...]  There are, currently, few
> papers on the subject (as compared to say, relational systems).
> [...]
> Part of the problem is simply defining just what an object-oriented
> database management systems is supposed to be.

The fact that the relational model was defined before relational DBMSs
were built may have something to do with.  I agree that the fact that
people can not agree on the definition of an OODBMS demonstrates the
need for one (definition).

> [...]
> So, perhaps we can get a discussion going here on the net
> about OODBMSs?

That would be great!  Here are some specific questions:

What do people think of when they think of an OODBMS?  Is it an Object
Oriented System with the ability to have persistent objects?  Shared
Objects?  Transactions?  Recoverability?  Authorization and Security?
What is the interface to it? Is an OODBMS a complete environment, or
not? ...

I believe that the question of the interface is very important because
it defines the behaviour of the system.

OOPSLA 88 should be interesting...
--
Yogesh Gupta                    | If you think my company will let me
Cullinet Software, Inc.         | speak for them, you must be joking.

drew@cup.portal.com (09/01/88)

Someone mailed me a request for ordering info on the OODBMS workshop
proceedings (sorry, I deleted the message, can't remember your name
or address, except that you are in Muenchen...) but the "mail reply"
command somehow didn't get the reply address correct.  So, hope you
see it here.