[comp.databases] Informix 4gl - NOT NULL input broken

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (09/16/88)

The NOT NULL input specification is completely broken in Informix 4gl when
used in an "input array" statement.  It is supposed to be possible to specify
this several ways, including as an attribute on a database field and as a
specific keyword to a formonly field.  Both declarations suffer from the same
problem.

When giving input to a field that is declared "not null", press ctrl-d
to clear the current contents of the field.  Then press RETURN to move to
the next field.  You get a message that says this field requires a value
to be entered.  Then just press RETURN again.  The cursor moves to the
next field.  You will never be bothered about that field again, and the
value that is returned to the 4gl program is NULL.

This seems to work correctly when using an "input" instead of "input array"
statement.

jw

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Phil Smith) (09/25/88)

As quoted from <476@pan.UUCP> by jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson):
+---------------
| The NOT NULL input specification is completely broken in Informix 4gl when
| used in an "input array" statement.  It is supposed to be possible to specify
+---------------

On what machine, what OS, what version?  Of all the problems I've had with
Informix-4GL forms, this isn't one of them -- it worked fine when I used
it.  (Altos 2086, Xenix 3.2, I forget the SQL/4GL version.)  Your other
reported bug also works fine on that combination.

++Brandon
(Word to the wise:  notify the DBMS company first, *then* the net.  You can
get lots of hate mail and/or phone calls from the company if you don't.)
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (09/27/88)

In article <12609@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>As quoted from <476@pan.UUCP> by jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson):
>+---------------
>| The NOT NULL input specification is completely broken in Informix 4gl when
>| used in an "input array" statement.  It is supposed to be possible to specify
>+---------------
>
>On what machine, what OS, what version?

Vaxstation 2000, Ultrix 2.0, 4gl version 2.10.00A
IBM RT/PC, AIX 2.2, 4gl version 2.10.00D
Plexus P-20, Sys5.2 release 1.5, 4gl version 2.10.00B

Exactly the same symptom on all three.

>Your other reported bug also works fine on that combination.

Which other reported bug?  I've written up *lots* of them lately.  If
you mean the 'formonly' declaration, you're right; it has already been
proven that I misread the manual on that one.  Sorry.

>(Word to the wise:  notify the DBMS company first, *then* the net.  You can
>get lots of hate mail and/or phone calls from the company if you don't.)

I would *love* to.  All they have to do is set up a decent support office
that I can get in touch with, or set up an email address that I can send
bug reports to (and ensure that they will be read and answered), or even
convince their U.S. support people to let me call them - I'm willing to
pay for the calls!!!  Hate mail I can live with.  I would also *love* to
get a phone call from them, but I am quite sure that they don't want to
hear what I have to say.  Sigh.

jw