[comp.databases] resume field statement in INGRES prob

bi38@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Macbeth Ylr) (09/27/88)

Is it possible that the resume field statement wont accept a
row specification for a table field.  I want to use the value in
the first column of a table field (lastname) to fill in the
second column (if there is only one person with that lastname)
and resume on the next row of the table field.

resume field names[row+1].lname

generates a syntax error.  Am I missing something or is Ingres
just lacking this seemingly simple and basic feature??

jpoole@ucsd.edu
jpoole@ucsd.bitnet

jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) (09/27/88)

In article <1042@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU> bi38@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Macbeth Ylr) writes:
>...I want to use the value in
>the first column of a table field (lastname) to fill in the
>second column (if there is only one person with that lastname)
>and resume on the next row of the table field.
>...Am I missing something or is Ingres
>just lacking this seemingly simple and basic feature??

The former.  As per sections 5.7.2, 5.8.1 in the EQUEL/C manual:

	++row;
##	scroll formname names to row
##	resume column names lastname

If the user is entering data, it's even simpler:

##	resume column names lastname

The ordinary <RETURN> will advance to the next row.  If the user never
enters data in the second column, it's even simpler yet: set the
column to display only with vifred.  Then the cursor will skip the
column automatically.

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger  uunet!daitc!jkrueger  jkrueger@daitc.arpa  (703) 998-4777