[comp.databases] Sun 4 DBMS Query

baker@necbsd.NEC.COM (L. BAKER) (10/14/88)

[]

We are currently evaluating various DBMS products for use on a SUN 4/280
datacenter.  We'd tentatively decided on Oracle, but just found out
that Oracle doesn't plan to have their product ported to the Sun 4
until March!

We can't wait that long.

If anyone `out there' has any information on DBMS products that are
ALIVE AND WELL UNDER THE SUN 4 ARCHITECTURE, please forward that
information to me.  We are interested in Oracle-like or Informix-like
application development environments, though at this point *any*
information will be useful.

Thank you!
LEB

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (10/20/88)

In article <46@necbsd.NEC.COM>, baker@necbsd.NEC.COM (L. BAKER) writes:

| We are currently evaluating various DBMS products for use on a SUN 4/280
| datacenter.  We'd tentatively decided on Oracle, but just found out
| that Oracle doesn't plan to have their product ported to the Sun 4
| until March!

I thought I read somewhere that they planned to complete their ports
to all platforms within 90 days of their first (VMS?) port of each
given new release ??

| We can't wait that long.
| If anyone `out there' has any information on DBMS products that are
| ALIVE AND WELL UNDER THE SUN 4 ARCHITECTURE, please forward that
| information to me.  We are interested in Oracle-like or Informix-like
| application development environments, though at this point *any*
| information will be useful.
|
| Thank you!
| LEB

The INFORMIX-SQL product line (INFORMIX-SQL, INFORMIX-4GL, C-ISAM,
INFORMIX-ESQL/C, etc.) is available on the Sun 4/200 series running
SUN O/S 4.0.  Ask for port #4223 (tape) or #4224 (cartridge).

--
 Alan S. Denney  |  Informix Software, Inc.  |  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland
 Disclaimer: These opinions are mine alone.  If I am caught or killed,

jdiaz@oracle.uucp (Jean Marie Diaz) (10/21/88)

   From: aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump)
   Date: 20 Oct 88 03:24:44 GMT

   In article <46@necbsd.NEC.COM>, baker@necbsd.NEC.COM (L. BAKER) writes:

   | We are currently evaluating various DBMS products for use on a SUN 4/280
   | datacenter.  We'd tentatively decided on Oracle, but just found out
   | that Oracle doesn't plan to have their product ported to the Sun 4
   | until March!

   I thought I read somewhere that they planned to complete their ports
   to all platforms within 90 days of their first (VMS?) port of each
   given new release ??

The porters had so much trouble with SunOS 4.0 that they're waiting to get
4.1 before they try again.  We're not too happy about that either... we
want to move several of our internal databases to a Sun 4...

(Reminder:  I am a sysadmin, not a developer.)

				   AMBAR
ambar%oracle.uucp@hplabs.hp.com			 {hplabs,pyramid}!oracle!ambar

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (10/23/88)

In article <460@oracle.UUCP>, jdiaz@oracle.uucp (Jean Marie Diaz) writes:
>    From: aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump)
>    Date: 20 Oct 88 03:24:44 GMT
>    In article <46@necbsd.NEC.COM>, baker@necbsd.NEC.COM (L. BAKER) writes:
>    | We are currently evaluating various DBMS products for use on a SUN 4/280
>    | datacenter.  We'd tentatively decided on Oracle, but just found out
>    | that Oracle doesn't plan to have their product ported to the Sun 4
>    | until March!
>
>    I thought I read somewhere that they planned to complete their ports
>    to all platforms within 90 days of their first (VMS?) port of each
>    given new release ??

   One problem when you promise to run on anything and everything is that you
   fall into the black hole called "vaporware".  There are dbms's running on
   the Sun4, including Unify and Ingres.  We have been evaluationg the latter
   on a Sun4; seems to be very solid so far.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst (NOT Harvard), NY