[comp.databases] ORACLE EXPorting via a shell script?

greg@cjinc.UUCP (Gregory F. Hogg) (10/10/88)

Hello,
	I need to setup a shell scrip to automaticly export data from
an ORACLE database using their EXP program.  The problem is that is seams
to only take input from the keyboard, anyone got any ideas?

				Greg

jdiaz@oracle.uucp (Jean Marie Diaz) (10/13/88)

>I need to setup a shell scrip to automaticly export data from
>an ORACLE database using their EXP program.  The problem is that is seams
>to only take input from the keyboard, anyone got any ideas?

Hmm.  Oughta look something like this:

#!/bin/csh
exp recordlength=16384 db/accounts >& logfile <<FINISH_ME_OFF
32768
/export/file/name
CPU
.
FINISH_ME_OFF

There are lots of refinements (lock files, logging, etc), but you get the
idea.

Claimers: I claim that 1) I am only a sysadmin for Oracle, and not a
developer. 2) You might not be using the same version of exp as I am.  3)
Ninety gazillion other things might go wrong.

				   AMBAR
ambar%oracle.uucp@hplabs.hp.com			 {hplabs,pyramid}!oracle!ambar

mbe@dde.uucp (Martin Berg) (10/24/88)

In article <397@cjinc.UUCP>, greg@cjinc.UUCP (Gregory F. Hogg) writes:
> Hello,
> 	I need to setup a shell scrip to automaticly export data from
> an ORACLE database using their EXP program.  The problem is that is seams
> to only take input from the keyboard, anyone got any ideas?
>
> 				Greg

I use following method (it is dependent on your ORACLE-authorisation) :

exp <<..
<user>
<password>
<return> or 'array fetch buffer size'
<return - for expdat.dmp> or <export filename>
..

example 1:

exp <<..
myuser
mypasswd
50000
mydumpfile.dmp
..

This will export the user 'myuser' to the file mydumpfile.dmp with
the rows and with compressed extents.

example 2:

exp <<..
system
manager
20000
orabackup.dmp
..

This performs an export of the entire database.

(Someone called this 'inline input' to shell - it sounds right
 - but is that the right term ?)

Martin Berg , Danish Data Electronics

UUCP: ...!mcmax!diku!dde!mbe

mbe@dde.uucp (Martin Berg) (10/26/88)

In article <111@mother.dde.uucp>, mbe@dde.uucp (Martin Berg) writes:
> In article <397@cjinc.UUCP>, greg@cjinc.UUCP (Gregory F. Hogg) writes:
> > Hello,
> > 	I need to setup a shell scrip to automaticly export data from
> > an ORACLE database using their EXP program.  The problem is that is seams
> > to only take input from the keyboard, anyone got any ideas?
> >
> > 				Greg
>
> I use following method (it is dependent on your ORACLE-authorisation) :
>
> exp <<..
> <user>
> <password>
> <return> or 'array fetch buffer size'
> <return - for expdat.dmp> or <export filename>
> ..

I'm sorry, but I have made a small error - the right way to do it is
as follows: