[comp.databases] INGRES/Expert system interfaces

mroth@afit-ab.arpa (Mark A. Roth) (11/02/88)

We are using the INGRES (commercial version) database system to store
data used in a computer-assisted wargaming exercise.  We would like
to start investigating an artificial intelligence/expert system front
end to the exercise to automate certain functions.

Are there any expert systems out there that can interface directly to
an INGRES database?  I heard about one: KEE and KEE Connection.
Please let me know of any others or your opinion of KEE if you are
familiar with it.

Thanks,

Mark Roth
Asst Prof of Computer Systems

ARPA: mroth@afit.af.mil
PHONE: 513-255-3576

larry@xanadu.uucp (Larry Rowe) (11/05/88)

In article <696@afit-ab.arpa> mroth@afit-ab.arpa (Mark A. Roth) writes:

>Are there any expert systems out there that can interface directly to
>an INGRES database?  I heard about one: KEE and KEE Connection.
>Please let me know of any others or your opinion of KEE if you are
>familiar with it.
>
>Mark Roth

We have developed a Common Lisp interface to RTINGRES called Common
Lisp INGRES (CLING).  The current version runs in Franz Allegro Common
Lisp or Lucid Common Lisp and RTINGRES Version 5.0 (QUEL).  All query
language commands are supported.  We plan to produce an SQL version when
we upgrade to RTINGRES Version 6.0.

Source code for CLING can be retrieved via anonymous FTP from
Berkeley (postgres.Berkeley.EDU).  We can also send Sun cartridge
tapes or 9 Track tapes with the code and documentation.  The charge
for tapes is $150.  Contact Sharon Wensel (wensel@postgres.Berkeley.EDU
or 415-642-4662) to order a tape.

	Lawrence A. Rowe

marti@ethz.UUCP (Robert Marti) (11/08/88)

In article <7099@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, larry@xanadu.uucp (Larry Rowe) writes:
> We have developed a Common Lisp interface to RTINGRES called Common
> Lisp INGRES (CLING).  The current version runs in Franz Allegro Common
> Lisp or Lucid Common Lisp and RTINGRES Version 5.0 (QUEL).  All query
> language commands are supported.  We plan to produce an SQL version when
> we upgrade to RTINGRES Version 6.0.

How interesting.  Could you supply some specifics?  Did you write a
pre-compiler similar to EQUEL?  If not, what C procedures do you
eventually call?  The IIxyz (e.g., IIwritedb) variety?

The reason I am asking is the following:  We wanted to develop a Modula-2
call interface for a reasonable commercial relational database system.
One of the products we considered was RTI INGRES.  Therefore, I wrote
a letter to RTI in Frankfurt, West Germany, who seem to be the official
distributer for INGRES in German speaking Switzerland.  In that letter
I asked if they were willing to provide us with documentation of the
internal INGRES C call interface (the IIxyz procedures), if we bought
their system.  This was in October of 1987.  As of today, I am still
waiting for their response.  (Well, not really:  We bought Oracle in
January 1988 and had the Modula-2 call interface up and running a couple
of weeks later.)  I guess that you as cofounder and officer of RTI did
get the relevant information ...

--Bob (Robert W. Marti)

PS:  At least, I now get RTI marketing hype every two months or so.

--
Robert Marti                    Phone:       +41 1 256 52 36
Institut fur Informatik

kuan@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Yih-pyng Kuan) (11/16/88)

A very simple problem.
We are using Rhodnius Empress Relational DB. Can anybody tell me if we
can print out forms of the application for documentation ?
Thanks in advance.

bobd@bloom.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) (11/16/88)

In article <1087@cps3xx.UUCP>, kuan@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Yih-pyng Kuan) writes:
> A very simple problem.
> We are using Rhodnius Empress Relational DB. Can anybody tell me if we
> can print out forms of the application for documentation ?
> Thanks in advance.

I assume you really DO mean the mbuilder_form table, and not ALL the mbuilder
tables.  The latter can be had by using mbprint <application name>.  We have
used a print screen function from a PC hooked up as a terminal to our Sun
network (where Empress runs).  As far as I know, that's the option.

-=-
Bob Donaldson              ...!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!radian!bobd
Radian Corporation                    ...!sun!texsun!radian!bobd
PO Box 201088
Austin, TX  78720       (512) 454-4797

Views expressed are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

nmm@apss.ab.ca (Neil McCulloch) (11/19/88)

In article <519@bloom.UUCP>, bobd@bloom.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) writes:
> In article <1087@cps3xx.UUCP>, kuan@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Yih-pyng Kuan) writes:
> > A very simple problem.
> > We are using Rhodnius Empress Relational DB. Can anybody tell me if we
> > can print out forms of the application for documentation ?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> I assume you really DO mean the mbuilder_form table, and not ALL the mbuilder
> tables.  The latter can be had by using mbprint <application name>.  We have
> used a print screen function from a PC hooked up as a terminal to our Sun
> network (where Empress runs).  As far as I know, that's the option.

mbprint prints the application itself which is not what the original
poster wanted.

In Empress 2.4, from mbuilder, screen dumps are controlled by
the MSSCPRINTSCREEN variable. This can be set in the db tablezero
file or from the shell. eg:
				set MSCCPRINTSCREEN="Pscreendump"

will assign the screendump function to ^P. SUccessive screendumps will
be concatenated.  mbuilder will ofcourse let you assign any function
key you like to dump the screen to anywhere you like.

Alternatively, you can define a key in the termdb for screen dumping
which will only be active on those screens you choose.

My own question is: does MSSCFLUSHTYPEAHEAD to work? If so, what's the
secret.