[comp.databases] database machines?

jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu (John Snyder) (11/22/88)

I'm looking for information on Teradata (sp?) database processors.
Has anyone had experience with these machines or at least know
where I can read up on them?

Thanks.

jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu              John R. Snyder
{decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!jsnyder           Dept. of Philosophy, DK-50
                                            University of Washington
"Est aliquid prodisse tenus" -G.Bruno       Seattle, WA 98195

whwb@cgchb1.uucp (Hans W. Barz) (11/23/88)

From article <6496@june.cs.washington.edu>, by jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu (John Snyder):
> I'm looking for information on Teradata (sp?) database processors.
> Has anyone had experience with these machines or at least know
> where I can read up on them?

 We have experience since one year with a Teradata. The Teradata is connected at
 our site to IBM VM, DEC VMS, SUN and IBM PC. Articles on the Teradata are
  - DeWitt, A Single-User Performance Evaluation of the Teradata, University of
    Wisconsin, Aug 1987
  - M.M.Adams, Concept of a Database Computer, InfoDB, Summer 1986
  - The Genesis of a Database Computer, IEEE Computer,pp.42-56, Nov. 1984

 You can also contact Teradata by (213)-827-8777.

 Hans Barz, CIBA-GEIGY, CH-4002 Basel, Mail: whwb@cgch.uucp

chang@blic.BLI.COM (Hung Chang) (11/24/88)

In article <6496@june.cs.washington.edu> jsnyder@june.cs.washington.edu (John Snyder) writes:
>I'm looking for information on Teradata (sp?) database processors.
>Has anyone had experience with these machines or at least know
>where I can read up on them?

You can find teradata's phone number from 411 to ask them send you information
on their products. But if you want more than just colorful marketing materials
you have to ask for pointers from the researchers of database machines. You can
start it from Andy Lowry of Columbia University. The best book of this subject
is "Database Computers: Principles, Architectures, and Techniques" of
S. Y. W. SU from McGraw-Hill, 1988.
Britton Lee has custom database processors too.
A most recent news said that Honeywell Bull has a super duper with 1000 tps
and a price tag of (hold your breath!) 6 million dollors. The news also said
President of big Bull believes the mainframe market of database applications
will grow rapidly in next dacade. You might want to know more about it.
Please pass me the information you get for this monster.
Disclaimer: Nothing needs to be disclaimed.
DOMAIN:  chang@blipyramid.BLI.COM (uunet)
PATH: ...!ucbvax!voder!blia!blipyramid!chang
PATH: ...!{uunet,ucbmonet,ucsfcgl,umich}!blia!blipyramid!chang
VOICE: (408)3787575 ex 2513.
Hung Chang. A RISC is no more than a degenerated CISC.