[comp.databases] Unisys' implementation of the semantic data model

allan@dhw68k.cts.com (Alan Perry) (12/04/88)

I am interested in any experiences with the Unisys implementation of
the semantic data model, a product called SIM that runs on Unisys
(Burroughs) A Series machines.  I am also interested in general opinions
of the semantic data model.

I work for Unisys in the same building where SIM is worked on and
there was a lot of excitement when SIM was introduced (roughly a
year ago).  I know very little about databases and was wondering if
we pulled off any great coup or if anyone noticed (or cared).

Thanks.

alan perry     UUCP: {trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!allan
               Internet: allan@dhw68k.cts.com

beal@dory.cis.ohio-state.edu (Alan Beal) (12/06/88)

In article <16358@dhw68k.cts.com> allan@dhw68k.cts.com (Alan Perry) writes:
>I am interested in any experiences with the Unisys implementation of
>the semantic data model, a product called SIM that runs on Unisys
>(Burroughs) A Series machines.  I am also interested in general opinions
>of the semantic data model.
>
>I work for Unisys in the same building where SIM is worked on and
>there was a lot of excitement when SIM was introduced (roughly a
>year ago).  I know very little about databases and was wondering if
>we pulled off any great coup or if anyone noticed (or cared).

Several comments.  At the place of my last employment, we were using DMSII(3.6)
and management was very interested in the SIM product as they were looking
to modernize their large database system(about 12 Gbytes).  One of the major
deficiencies with SIM was the lack of an SQL interface.  Now I know we all
have various opinions on the use of SQL, but if you look at the direction
that business is heading, an SQL interface is a must in order to keep your
company from being locked into one company's database product - at least that
is the theory.  Also, most of the business community probably knows little
if anything about SIM and couldn't care less.  That is the impression
I got when I attended last summer's Symposium on Relational Database Systems
in Chicago.  When I asked the so-called database expert about SIM, he knew
very little about it and didn't express an interest in learning about it.
It seems DB2 rules the business community.

Overall, I liked the DMSII product especially for its media recovery
capabilities and its use of Algol as a systems language.  But no company is
going to turn to SIM if it is not compatible with rest of the world,
especially Big Blue.  That is reality.

SIM is implemented on top of DMSII which may turn out to be a bad design if
it is dependent on the underlying database software.  I don't know much
about SIM but if it was designed with a machine independent interface, I think
it would gain wider acceptance especially if UNISYS could convince other
vendors to implement SIM on their machines.  But I doubt if this is going to
happen.  One problem Unisys is going to have with the DMSII implementation
is that it is a centralized database system.  As business moves toward a more
distributed approach of computing, this is going to leave Unisys at a
disadvantage.

I can't comment on whether SIM is a good product or not, but since it is
implemented on Unisys Large Systems, most of the business community will
probably never know it even existed or even care.
-=-
 Alan Beal
 The Ohio State University
 beal@cis.ohio-state.edu      uucp:  osu-cis!lyre.cis.ohio-state.edu!beal