[comp.databases] Multiuser databases for Microport

vik@lynx.uucp (Vikram Sohal) (12/09/88)

  I am interested in getting a good multiuser, general purpose database
that will run under MicroPort System V UNIX on a 386 PC AT. It must also have
the capability to allow multiple users to access to its contents through an
ethernet TCP/IP connection. I was looking at Oracle, but it seems that they
do not have a version for MicroPort Sys V Unix.
  Also, I would be interested in hearing what you database gurus have to say
about Dbase III. How is it compared to existing databases (Informix,
Oracle, etc)? Should I spend my money on Dbase IV?. One interesting thing
that Dbase III allows you to do is have memo fields (basically large chunks
of ascii text) in a database entry. I use this feature frequently to enter
log reports for certain entries, is this capability available on other
popular databases?

Any suggestions?
                                        ADVthanksANCE,
                                            Vikram Sohal

"Franco is ready, let the race begin!!!"

bobd@bloom.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) (12/09/88)

In article <5175@lynx.UUCP>, vik@lynx.uucp (Vikram Sohal) writes:

>   I am interested in getting a good multiuser, general purpose database
> that will run under MicroPort System V UNIX on a 386 PC AT. It must also have
/* DELETE */
> 							One interesting thing
> that Dbase III allows you to do is have memo fields (basically large chunks
> of ascii text) in a database entry. I use this feature frequently to enter
> log reports for certain entries, is this capability available on other
> popular databases?
>
> Any suggestions?

Empress/32 (From Empress Software, Toronto) runs under almost ANY UNIX system,
though you should check with them to be sure it runs under MicroPort.  It also
has what you refer to as memo fields (they call them text) which allow up to
64K of ASCII text to be stored as a variable length field.  They even give
you some control over the physical layout (how much in the base record, how
much in each overflow record, etc.) which is both rare and helpful.  They
also have a bulk type which works the same way except that you can store
binary data.  This feature can be used to store small executables or word
processing documents for instance.

Other features include an active data dictionary, dynamic on-line DDL, three
levels of C interface, SQL, a good application generator, and a fairly good
report writer.

-=-
Bob Donaldson              ...!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!radian!bobd
Radian Corporation                    ...!sun!texsun!radian!bobd
PO Box 201088
Austin, TX  78720       (512) 454-4797

Views expressed are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (12/10/88)

In article <5175@lynx.UUCP>, vik@lynx.uucp (Vikram Sohal) writes:

>   I am interested in getting a good multiuser, general purpose database
> that will run under MicroPort System V UNIX on a 386 PC AT. It must also have

Since you'll be making a decision for the long run (I guess?) you should be
looking at something that works under Xenix now. You can do development under
DOS while waiting for next Spring's Sys V 3.2 when the world will run
basically anything on Intel chips.

Some of us are enjoying that mode now with SCO and Foxbase+.

As far as a general discussion of database pros and cons, this is not really
the place. Generally speaking I would say that the Dbase world is several
steps removed from what I call real database handling. Here, we grew up with
Total from Cincom and graduated with MDBS III. This may tell you that we
really come from a network or, call it, post relational network environment.

But Dbase works and little systems can be genned rather quickly.

Presently we are using Integra from SCO to experiment with some in-house
stuff. SQL is here and I would suggest you think seriously about using it.
Fred Rump

Fred Rump, Pres.       | UUCP: {rutgers,cbmvax,bellcore}!bpa!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}
10501 Drummond Rd.     |         !ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!fred
Philadelphia, Pa. 19154|  or ...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!fred