[comp.databases] RDBMSs that can handle binary data?

whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) (12/20/88)

We have a need for a database that can handle binary data of arbitrary
length.  We've looked at Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, and Unify, and Unify
is the only suitable one we've found thus far.  We've recently learned that
Empress may have the capabilities that we require and we're in the process of
obtaining literature on it.

Are there any RDBMSs other than Unify and (possibly) Empress that can handle
binary data of arbitrary length (in addition to doing all the other good
stuff you typically expect from a RDBMS)?
Bill Mitchell				whm@sunquest.com
Sunquest Information Systems		sunquest!whm@arizona.edu
Tucson, AZ 				{arizona,uunet}!sunquest!whm
602-885-7700

kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin) (12/20/88)

In article <157@sunquest.UUCP> whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>We have a need for a database that can handle binary data of arbitrary
>length.  We've looked at Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, and Unify,

Sybase can also handle this.

--
Kevin Brighton                        kevin@jtsv16.jts.com
JTS Computer Systems Ltd.             uunet!jtsv16!kevin

bfbreedl@sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) (12/20/88)

In article <157@sunquest.UUCP>, whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
> We have a need for a database that can handle binary data of arbitrary
> length.  We've looked at Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, and Unify, and Unify
> is the only suitable one we've found thus far.

I'm not sure what you mean arbitrary length, but we're using
Informix on Plexus computers to store compressed image data. This
is of varying length.

--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
        pacbell!sactoh0!bfbreedl

bgolden@infmx.UUCP (Bernard Golden) (12/21/88)

In article <588@sactoh0.UUCP>, bfbreedl@sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) writes:
> In article <157@sunquest.UUCP>, whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
> > We have a need for a database that can handle binary data of arbitrary
> > length.  We've looked at Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, and Unify, and Unify
> > is the only suitable one we've found thus far.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean arbitrary length, but we're using
> Informix on Plexus computers to store compressed image data. This
> is of varying length.
>
> --
> Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
>         pacbell!sactoh0!bfbreedl

Actually, a binary data type will be available in our next release, slated
for first half of 1989 (that is, generally available, not just on Plexus).
The data size (length) will be up to 2 gigabytes.  Hope this helps.  If
you have any further questions, email me.

-b

Fodder

peterson_s@apollo.COM (Steve Peterson) (12/22/88)

I dont know what your hardware requirements are, but we use an RDBMS
called InterBase on the Apollo platform.  InterBase has a data type
called a BLOB(Basic Large OBject) that is of arbitrary length and can
contain either textual or binary data.

InterBase is available on Apollo, Sun, and Vax hardware from:

                     Interbase Software Corporation
                     209 Burlington Road
                     Bedford, MA  01730
                     617-275-3222

Stephen Peterson
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!peterson_s
ARPA: peterson_s@apollo.com

greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) (12/22/88)

In article <40642319.104d5@apollo.COM> peterson_s@apollo1.UUCP (Steve Peterson) writes:
>                                          InterBase has a data type
>called a BLOB(Basic Large OBject) that is of arbitrary length ...
	  ^^^^
Funny, that's what ours (Informix') is (or will be) called.  Except
ours stands for Binary Large OBject.  Of course, ours isn't shipping
yet...

Maybe we can have a look'n'feel war. :-)

	-greg

Greg Yachuk	Informix Software Inc., Menlo Park, CA	(415) 322-4100
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!greggy	why yes, I DID choose that login myself

jeffl@sybase.sybase.com (Jeff Lichtman) (12/22/88)

> We have a need for a database that can handle binary data of arbitrary
> length.  We've looked at Oracle, Ingres, Sybase... Unify
> is the only suitable one we've found thus far.

Sybase will have this capability in version 4.0, which should be in beta
release soon (sorry I can't be more specific than that).  I will forward your
message to our sales department.
--
Jeff Lichtman at Sybase
{mtxinu,pacbell}!sybase!jeffl

wallis@ivogus.dec.com (Barry Wallis @IVO) (12/23/88)

In article <157@sunquest.UUCP> whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>We have a need for a database that can handle binary data of arbitrary
>length.  We've looked at Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, and Unify,

Rdb/VMS for the VAX can handle this.  We use segmented strings. Each segmented
string is made up of an arbitrary number of vectors which are linked
together. Each vector can contain up to 64K of unformatted data.

This discussion assumes that you have a lnaguage which can perform operations on
binary data of arbitrary length.  Is that true?

- Barry L. Wallis
- Digital Equipment Corporation
- Irvine, CA

jsh0@isg300.UUCP (J. Steven Harrison) (01/03/89)

In article <157@sunquest.UUCP> whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>We have a need for a database that can handle binary data of arbitrary
>length.  We've looked at Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, and Unify, and Unify
>is the only suitable one we've found thus far.

I have heard that a new release of Informix is due out that will include binary
data types.  I do not have any of the details though.  I would suggest that
you give them a call to verify this and also the release date for the
new version.

--
J. Steven Harrison
VP Technical Services

robert@blake.acs.washington.edu (Gedankenleere) (01/07/89)

Is anybody familiar with the DEC Conver/merge utility?
I have 2 fixed-length record indexed files (about 179,000 disk blocks large, 1 file). I am doing daily convert/merge of fixed record-length seqeuential records
to these indexed files. The first file has a record length of 72, and the
2nd file, 127. My problem is that the first convert/merge only takes 10 minutes,whereas the second one takes 2 hours, even though the number of records in
the second one is less than the first.
The second indexed files is structured with duplicate keys.
Any ideas?
thanx in advance.

:wq
.