[comp.databases] dBASE limits

ray@spca6.UUCP (ray) (01/18/89)

In article <493@dbase.UUCP> awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>PS> By the way, who is the MDBS guy on this newsgroup plugging MDBS with
>self-serving comments like "I doubt dBASE or Paradox can handle 20M
>records; you should try MDBS"?
>dBASE is not limited to 20 million records, period.

I speak not to defend MDBS, never having used the product, but to attack dBASE
having abused and been abused by that product.

Case in point, when I use dBASE III Plus, several dbase verbs become useless
after a dbf file gets it's 1,000,000 record.  Something I have tried several
times is to create a dbf with 999,999 records. Next, set scoreboard on
append blank and kiss your system good bye.  No damage is done but the old
three-finger boot may not bring your system back.

Odd thing is, if you create a 1,000,000+ record dbf outside of dBASE and
then avoid dBASE screen oriented commands, like edit and browse you can use
the file.  In particular, I know it will index the file.

If Glendale's defense is that the bug is dBASE III plus not dBASE IV, all I've
got to say is where is my dBASE IV! I've had the developer's release on order
for over a month!
Oh well, it's nice to know some companies never change.

====
ray    mit-eddie!uccba!spca6!ray
----
dBASE IV my favorite hosted operating system.  (Dynamic memory allocation
through MS-DOS written overlays! I love it!;-))