[comp.databases] Experience with Ctree

btn@jupiter.uucp (btn) (01/18/89)

I am looking for a PC database package with a 'C' interface and
would very much appreciate hearing from anybody's experience with
this package.  The criterias that are important to me are stability
of the product, speed, whether it runs well in a network environment with
multiple users, how good are the tools for debugging and maintaining
the data base, whether it will handle very large data base (larger
than 100,000 records per files).  I would also appreciate hearing
about anybody's experience on other PC database package, good or
bad experience welcom.

Thank you in advance.

Bich Nguyen
(415) 859-2548

molaro@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Donald Molaro) (01/20/89)

In article <15811@joyce.istc.sri.com>, btn@jupiter.uucp (btn) writes:
> I am looking for a PC database package with a 'C' interface and
> would very much appreciate hearing from anybody's experience with
> this package.  The criterias that are important to me are stability
> of the product, speed, whether it runs well in a network environment with
> multiple users, ...

	I have used C-tree under two operating systems (if you count DOS).
They are SCO-Xenix and DOS networks. I have nothing but praise for the
product. Once you get it installed it's just another C library. Applications
written with C-tree can be muti-user or whatever. The ideas behind the package
are really good and the speed of it is blinding(At least the Xenix Version).
The documentation is'nt great but once you're used to it it's not bad. The
support from Faircom is also good, but a maintience agreement is required.
As far as reliablity and stablity are concened the package passes with good
grades ! All in all I strongly recomend it !

					Donald Molaro.