[comp.databases] Free Text in a Database

sue@murdu.OZ (Sue McPherson) (01/18/89)

I'm posting this query in the hope that some-one has solved the problem I'm
facing.

I have an IBM PC compatible (a 386 with 4Mb of memory and 40Mb HD) and I want
to set up a database which will contain approx 4,500 records. The records will
contain some ordinary numeric and character fields and (here's the hard part)
one field which contains textual information (between 100 and 1000 characters)
and the text would ideally be in a word processing format (as it needs to store
supscripts and superscripts, although I could use imbedded RTF commands).
Bearing in mind that the end users will be almost computer illiterate
(admin/wp types) I need a package which will allow a variable length field
to be displayed and edited on the screen (along with the other fields).
Note: I don't have to be able to search the text, only output it in reports.

The only package I have seen which appeals is Framework which allows you to
have a word proccessing "frame" as a field in a record, ie. you drop into the
word processor when you edit the field. The only problem is that according
to the support people a database larger than 2000 records is not recommended.

I've considered a few PC databases but none of them seem to do what I want.
The previous consultant who worked on this had a DBase III+ database for the
simple info and a WP file for each of the text entries. Needless to say the
end-users never mastered the art of jumping between Word and DBase and the
consultant was unable to get the reporting programs to include the text.

If anyone has a solution to this problem or could suggest a Database package
which would be suitable for this applications I would greatly appreciate
your advice.

Many Thanks,

Sue McPherson
sue@murdu.mu.oz

Software Contracts Group
University of Melbourne
Parkville  3052
Australia

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (01/24/89)

Not to be overtly commercial, but why not try dBASE IV?  It is known to
be friendly to "computer illiterates," it has good variable-length text
support (in 'memo' fields) and it includes a word processor.  I think
whoever sold you Framework missed a trick.

/alastair/

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (01/26/89)

In article <1@dbase.UUCP> awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) writes:

>Not to be overtly commercial, but why not try dBASE IV?  It is known to

To be even less commercial, you might consider Bibliofile, my data base
described in COMPUTERS AND THE HUMANITIES 18 (1984), pp. 71-85.
Designed originally for medieval Latin texts and romanized Japanese,
Bibliofile will happily accept input that will choke most commercial
data bases. Although primarily designed for text, it does have double
precision floating point and single precision integer arithmetic.

Currently Bibliofile is available for SCO Xenix 2.2, MSDOS, 4.3 BSD
UNIX (VAX 11/750, VAX 8800, Sun, etc.). The current price is $00.00,
but this may double in the near future. -:)

If you do decide to go with D-base(d)-IV, let me know how it runs under
4.3 BSD on a VAX 8800 or a Sun Work Station.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
Davis, California  95616
916-752-1636 (day: voice, night: fax)
916-752-0776 (secretary)
ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck (email)
cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu (request ucdked, login as guest)

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (01/27/89)

In article <19496@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
> In article <1@dbase.UUCP> awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) writes:
> >
> >Not to be overtly commercial, but why not try dBASE IV?  It is known to
>
> To be even less commercial, you might consider Bibliofile, my data base
>
>	<stuff deleted>
>
> If you do decide to go with D-base(d)-IV, let me know how it runs under
> 4.3 BSD on a VAX 8800 or a Sun Work Station.
>
> Earl H. Kinmonth
> History Department
> University of California, Davis
> Davis, California  95616

We're working on other ports, but I'm writing this on a Pyramid running
4.3 BSD and I can assure you that dBASE IV runs quite well in this environment.
I can also run dBASE IV on our Sun 386i native or in a DOS window.  This
doesn't help the original poster, because these ports are not available
to the public (yet).  But please don't assume that dBASE is a port from
CP/M, either.  We have five years of improvements on our original
complete rewrite in C, and our code is more portable than a
lot of, shall we say, academic applications, in addition to being
well optimized for a particular platform (i.e., MS-DOS).

The difference between shareware from Earl and dBASE IV is that dBASE
(and other commercial products) cost more, don't come with source code
and, unlike the free stuff, they attract slings and arrows.  But we're
committed to supporting, improving and porting our products into the
next century, whereas if Earl gets a better job offer in Sri Lanka tomorrow,
you're out of luck.

I hope this is received in the spirit in which it is intended--I have
no intention of "selling" anyone on dBASE, and these opinions are
entirely my own.  (I have one supervisor who knows I have access to
usenet, and she tries not to think about my access to postnews,
because she knows I have a big mouth.)

/alastair/