[comp.databases] Writing formatted output to file in dBase III+

staylor@systime.UUCP (Simon Taylor) (01/24/89)

Does anyone know how to redirect formatted output generated using @x,y SAY

under dBase III+ rather than to the screen or printer?

	Thanks in advance

		Simon Taylor

--
Simon Taylor                    UUCP : simon@systime.uucp
Systime Computers Ltd        BANGNET : ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!systime!simon

nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) (01/27/89)

From article <403@systime.UUCP>, by staylor@systime.UUCP (Simon Taylor):
> Does anyone know how to redirect formatted output generated using @x,y SAY
> under dBase III+ rather than to the screen or printer?

I'm not sure if all this is supported by DBASE III+, but in CLIPPER you
can use the SET ALTERNATE or SET PRINTER TO <filename> and when done
close the file by using SET ALTERNATE TO, SET ALTERNATE OFF.

 |Glen Midkiff   osu-cis!dsacg1!gmidkiff                                 |
 | Phone: (614)-238-9643 @DLA, Systems Automation Center, Columbus, Oh.  |

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (01/28/89)

In article <626@dsacg1.UUCP> nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) writes:
#>From article <403@systime.UUCP>, by staylor@systime.UUCP (Simon Taylor):
#>> Does anyone know how to redirect formatted output generated using @x,y SAY
#>> under dBase III+ rather than to the screen or printer?
#>>
#>I'm not sure if all this is supported by DBASE III+, but in CLIPPER you
#>can use the SET ALTERNATE or SET PRINTER TO <filename> and when done
#>close the file by using SET ALTERNATE TO, SET ALTERNATE OFF.
#>
#>--
#> |-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
#> |Glen Midkiff   osu-cis!dsacg1!gmidkiff                                 |

In McMax, which is supposed to be the same as dBASE III+, my
manual explicitly states that SET ALTERNATE TO FILE won't
work for @,say statements as it did in dBASE II. Indeed, it
seems a strange retrogression in functionality to have
eliminated that option. In my programs, I've had to convert
@,say statements to ? statements to redirect output to a file.

Steve Goldfield

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (01/29/89)

In article <626@dsacg1.UUCP>, nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) writes:
> From article <403@systime.UUCP>, by staylor@systime.UUCP (Simon Taylor):
> > Does anyone know how to redirect formatted output generated using @x,y SAY
> > under dBase III+ rather than to the screen or printer?
> >
> I'm not sure if all this is supported by DBASE III+, but in CLIPPER you
> can use the SET ALTERNATE or SET PRINTER TO <filename> and when done
> close the file by using SET ALTERNATE TO, SET ALTERNATE OFF.

To do this in dBASE, you need dBASE IV.  You need the

	SET DEVICE TO FILE <filename>

command so that you can easily support a prompt like

	Report to S)creen, P)rinter, or F)ile

which end-users are coming to expect.  The dBASE syntax is the same
for each choice:

	SET DEVICE TO SCREEN
	SET DEVICE TO PRINTER
	SET DEVICE TO FILE <filename>

You can report to a file in dBASE III+, but only by using the '?'
command rather than the '@..SAY' commands, which is admittedly
quite awkward.  By the way, dBASE IV also provides SET PRINTER TO FILE,
but because it has installable printer drivers, you can optionally
include format information in the file for use with a specific
printer later.

/alastair/

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (02/04/89)

in article <19591@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) says:

> In article <626@dsacg1.UUCP> nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) writes:
> #>From article <403@systime.UUCP>, by staylor@systime.UUCP (Simon Taylor):
> #>> Does anyone know how to redirect formatted output generated using @x,y SAY
> #>> under dBase III+ rather than to the screen or printer?
> #>>
> #>I'm not sure if all this is supported by DBASE III+, but in CLIPPER you
> #>can use the SET ALTERNATE or SET PRINTER TO <filename> and when done
> #>close the file by using SET ALTERNATE TO, SET ALTERNATE OFF.
> #>
> #>--
> #> |-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
> #> |Glen Midkiff   osu-cis!dsacg1!gmidkiff                                 |
>
> In McMax, which is supposed to be the same as dBASE III+, my
> manual explicitly states that SET ALTERNATE TO FILE won't
> work for @,say statements as it did in dBASE II. Indeed, it
> seems a strange retrogression in functionality to have
> eliminated that option. In my programs, I've had to convert
> @,say statements to ? statements to redirect output to a file.

I just checked a dBase III+ manual. It says:

"SET ALTERNATE records all output OTHER THAN THAT OF FULL-SCREEN COMMANDS
to a text file" (upper case mine)

Not only are @ commands not recorded, but EDIT and APPEND also are
excluded. Bummer...

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

mattp@oakhill.UUCP (Matt Pressly) (02/06/89)

Foxbase, like Clipper, lets you redirect the output of SAY's to a file by
changing the printer device from PRN: to a file name.  Doing that won't
redirect full screen edit commands to a file, though.
--
address: mattp@oakhill