[comp.databases] Modelling Abstract Objects in traditional RDBMS

vwade@cs.tcd.ie (Vincent Wade, Network Lab, TCD, Ph 772941 Extn 1524.) (02/06/89)

Hi,
	I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any references (work
details) concerned with the modelling of Abstract Objects onto a conventional
RDBMS.

	I have seen details of Postgres but it's  RDBMS has been extended
to cope with objects while I'm looking for Objects modeled directly onto
existing RDBMS.

Thanks,

Vincent Wade,                                 E-Mail:    VWade@Cs.Tcd.Ie
Trinity College Dublin,
Ireland.

jansen@ditsyda.oz (Bob Jansen) (02/10/89)

In article <34046@cs.tcd.ie>, vwade@cs.tcd.ie (Vincent Wade, Network Lab, TCD, Ph 772941 Extn 1524.) writes:
> Hi,
> 	I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any references (work
> details) concerned with the modelling of Abstract Objects onto a conventional
> RDBMS.

The  CSIRO DOvision of Information Technology has a research group working in the area of the software engineering of expert systems. In this domain, we are producing database models of production rules, frames, semantic ntes, and other knowledge representation formalisms. This work deals with abstract objects like rules, facts, actions etc. We have augmented the data dictionary concept to cater for these abstract types, and have built a prototype system using Hypercard on a Mac.

The results are writen up in various reports and publshed papers, notably, the proceedings of the FGCS'88, and the Workshop on the Integration of knowledge based and performance systems as part of the AAAI'88 conference. In addition, technical reports are available on application and the paymeny of an appropriate fee by mailing 'marcure@ditsyda.oz'

TR-FR-87-02 Applying Software Engineering COncepts to Rule Based Expert Systems
TR-FC-88-01 The Knowledge Dictionary: A Relational Tool for the Maintenance of Expert Systems
TR-FC-88-02 The Knowledge Dictionary: Integrating a Knowledge Base with a Data Store
TR-FD-89-02 The Knowledge Dictionary: Storing Different Knowledge Representations

moiram@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Moira Mallison) (02/14/89)

In article <34046@cs.tcd.ie> vwade@cs.tcd.ie (Vincent Wade, Network Lab, TCD, Ph 772941 Extn 1524.) writes:
>	I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any references (work
>details) concerned with the modelling of Abstract Objects onto a conventional
>RDBMS.

Check out the following article:
	_Relational Database Design Using an Object-Oriented Methodology_,
	Michael R. Blara, William J. Premerlani, and James E. Rumbaugh,
	Communications of the ACM, Vol 31, #4, April, 1988.

Moira Mallison
Cax Data Management
Tektronix, Inc.

timos@mykines.cs.umd.edu (Timos Sellis) (02/14/89)

>In article <34046@cs.tcd.ie> vwade@cs.tcd.ie (Vincent Wade, Network Lab, TCD, Ph 772941 Extn 1524.) writes:
>	I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any references (work
>details) concerned with the modelling of Abstract Objects onto a conventional
>RDBMS.

Gio Wiederhold's paper that appeared in the IEEE Computer, Dec. 86
special issue on Database Engineering is also relevant.

Timos Sellis
CS Dept, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
ARPA:timos@mimsy.umd.edu
USENET:{uunet,decvax,allegra,...}!mimsy!timos