[comp.databases] Information on ORACLE

rd1g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ronald Henry Daubel) (02/02/89)

Sorry if this has been covered before, but;

I would like some (more) information about ORACLE.

What application development tools are included with the DBMS.  Are the
development tools easy to use?  Specifically, how easy is it to create
tables, relationships, data entry constraints, data entry forms, reports,
menus, and views.

Does ORACLE provide a code generator?

How does it handle maintenance (backups and recoveries)?

How easy it is to change the structure of a database?

Is there a data dictionary subsystem?  If so, how is it accessed?  Is
access restricted to the DBA (and other authorized personnel), or can
anyone access it?

How well does ORACLE manage memory space?  Disk space?

What kind of query system is provided, and how easy is it for a
non-programmer to use?

To keep any traffic created off the net, please respond by mail to:

            rd1g@andrew.cmu.edu
                or
            r746rd1g@vb.cc.cmu.edu.bitnet

Thanks to all who respond.

Ron Daubel

ber@astbe.UUCP (H.Bernau) (02/07/89)

Hi Ron !
Sorry that I am posting but our local sendmail doesn't understand the
net adresses you gave in your article

In article <sXtwIRy00Ui083GUcA@andrew.cmu.edu> you write:
>What application development tools are included with the DBMS.  Are the
>development tools easy to use?  Specifically, how easy is it to create
>tables, relationships, data entry constraints, data entry forms, reports,
>menus, and views.

There are: SQL*Forms, a window oriented designer tool for forms apllications
	   SQL*Menu, a window oriented designer tool for menu apllications
	   SQL*Report, a window oriented designer tool for reports
           SQL*Calc, a spreadsheet tool similar to LOTUS123
Views are created using SQL !
There is no possibility to define (logical) relationships between tables or to
define constraints in version 5. I don't know the enhancements of V6.

>Does ORACLE provide a code generator?
What do you mean ? Code generator for what ?

>How does it handle maintenance (backups and recoveries)?
You can do After Image Jounalling, Export/Import, file backup.

>How easy it is to change the structure of a database?
ORACLE's using SQL so that you can do an ALTER TABLE to modify existing field
or to add some new ones.

>Is there a data dictionary subsystem?  If so, how is it accessed?  Is
>access restricted to the DBA (and other authorized personnel), or can
>anyone access it?
There is one and anyone can access it if the DBA gives them the autorization
to do so. The DD can be accessed like all (!) other database tables using SQL.

>How well does ORACLE manage memory space?  Disk space?
What do you mean with "how well does ..."? I don't think that there is a need
to know it.

>What kind of query system is provided, and how easy is it for a
>non-programmer to use?
SQL and SQL and SQL and SQL !!!

>Thanks to all who respond.
>Ron Daubel
T'was a pleasure for me !

For more information contact ORACLE Corp. They are on the net (news@oracle I
think).

|   Rolf Bernau               |
|   GEI Software Technik mbH  |  Berlin:             astbe!ber
|   Hohenzollerndamm 150      |  USA:                ...!pyramid!tub!astbe!ber
|   1000 Berlin 33            |
|   West-Germany              |

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (02/12/89)

In article <503@astbe.UUCP> ber@astbe.UUCP (H.Bernau) writes:
    []
|There are: SQL*Forms, a window oriented designer tool for forms apllications
|	   SQL*Menu, a window oriented designer tool for menu apllications
|	   SQL*Report, a window oriented designer tool for reports
|           SQL*Calc, a spreadsheet tool similar to LOTUS123
|Views are created using SQL !
|There is no possibility to define (logical) relationships between tables or to
|define constraints in version 5. I don't know the enhancements of V6.

Sorry to contradict you, but it is perfectly possible to define
constraints in version 5. It is only a matter of knowing how:

Suppose I have a table 'oddtab', with a number field 'num' that should
only contain odd numbers, a char field 'verystring' that should contain
'VERY' as a substring, and a char field 'alias' that contains only
strings that also appear in the 'alias' char field of another table,
called 'choices'. This can be set up the following way (modulo possible
syntax errors, which I hope you'll forgive me):

create table oddtab (
    num        number,
    verystring char(32),
    alias      char(32));

create view oddview as
    select num, verystring, alias
    from oddtab
    where mod(num,2) = 1
    and verystring like '%VERY%'
    and alias in (
        select alias from choices)
    with check option;

Accessing oddtab via oddview guarantees the restrictions that you wanted
to impose. You can even enforce this more strongly by having oddtab and
oddview owned by a separate user (something like sys), and granting
select,insert etc. on oddview to the user that is going to work on the
table. In this case you'll have to create some synonyms as well.
Although this approach may have it's limitations (f.i.: you cannot
create an updatable view on a join), it may very well suffice in most
cases. Version 6 (or is it version 7?) will offer more in this
respect.

    Leo.

ber@astbe.UUCP (H.Bernau) (02/15/89)

In article <949@philmds.UUCP> leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
>In article <503@astbe.UUCP> ber@astbe.UUCP (H.Bernau) writes:
>|There is no possibility to define (logical) relationships between tables or to
>|define constraints in version 5. I don't know the enhancements of V6.
>
>Sorry to contradict you, but it is perfectly possible to define
>constraints in version 5. It is only a matter of knowing how:
>
>[very good example deleted]

I know what you mean. But I think this was not the intetion of the original
posting which asked about information on ORACLE.

When I hear something like "defining constraints", I think that the RDBMS
would give me a possibility to define it e.g. within the create table
statement (using DEC-RDB you are able to do so). I don't want to garantee
the logical integrety (spelling correct ?) by myself. That's what the
original question was about, I think.

BTW, your given solution is very well indeed.

Rolf