[comp.databases] Informix SQL question

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (02/13/89)

I am getting the message
	"Invalid message type received from sqlexec process"

The unusual thing about it is that I am running 2.10.00? on 4
machines, my 3B1, an Amdahl and 2 3B2/400s and only the 400s return the
error on the same program. Does anyone have any solution on input?

The details are as follows.  I have a screen run by a cperfed program.
If the user does an update and then gives any other database
command ,the message comes up AFTER executing the command and
displaying the results.

			Any Help is appreciated,
			Phil Paone

attmail!ppaone

--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (02/14/89)

In article <Feb.13.09.11.38.1989.17699@aramis.rutgers.edu>, paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:

> I am getting the message
> 	"Invalid message type received from sqlexec process"
>
> The unusual thing about it is that I am running 2.10.00? on 4
> machines, my 3B1, an Amdahl and 2 3B2/400s and only the 400s return the
> error on the same program. Does anyone have any solution on input?
>
> The details are as follows.  I have a screen run by a cperfed program.
> If the user does an update and then gives any other database
> command ,the message comes up AFTER executing the command and
> displaying the results.
> 			Any Help is appreciated,
> 			Phil Paone

Hmmmm...  never seen that exact behavior before.  Here are a few things
to watch for, however:
   1) Do you have a $database statement in your ESQL/C code (or C code;
      whatever it is you're cperfing).  If so, *take it out and shoot
      it*!  Before 2.10, a $database statement was required in a
      function to be called from the form's ON BEGINNING block;
      effective with 2.10 (when Perform started using the SQL engine),
      they will just cause you heartache.
         The reason I ask this first is that the printed cperf examples
      in the original 2.10.00 ESQL manuals show a $database statement
      and an ON BEGINNING block in the demo program listing where it no
      longer belongs; fortunately, the actual demos in the product
      properly omitted them.  Some people who used the printed demo
      listings as examples got burned.
   1a)  is "cperfing" a word?   :-]

   2) are you *shore* that the form has been freshly recompiled and
      the ESQL/C code has been freshly cperfed?

   3) are you using reserved words in any table, column, or host
      variable names?

   4) with regards to the affected table (whatever the current table
      is when you run the failing update):
         a) have you specified all of the columns for that table?
            (it's not necessarily a problem if you didn't, but it
             could indicate that some changes were made to the code
             or schema and not to the form)
         b) is the "current table" a view?  (There were several bugs
            with views in Perform in version 2.10.00 that were fixed
            in .03)
         c) are you doing anything naughty in AFTER EDITUPDATE or
            AFTER UPDATE blocks that pertain to that table or columns
            in that table?  (Especially AFTER UPDATE)
         d) ditto for other AFTER blocks (and even ON BEGINNING) ?
         e) do you do a $close database anywhere in your ESQL or C code?

I hope one of these turns out to be the problem.  I've had a pretty
good guess record on CPERF lately, and I don't want to ruin it  :-].

Regards, Alan Denney

(P.S.: except for the 3B1, why are you still using .00 instead of .03?
       Just curious)

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/19/89)

As quoted from <Feb.13.09.11.38.1989.17699@aramis.rutgers.edu> by paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone):
+---------------
| I am getting the message
| 	"Invalid message type received from sqlexec process"

This is an internal error.  Contact Informix Software, Inc. to see what can
be done about it.  (Last time I got this error, it was as a result of
sqlexec dumping core....)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org