[comp.databases] SET FUNCTION in dBaseIV: Help!

regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) (02/17/89)

][

i've got a problem with our new version of dbaseIV.  i can't seem to
set the function keys!

when setting a function key through the "set" command:

.set function 10 to 'string;'

the f10 key is properly bound only in the dot prompt area.  when i
attempt to EDIT a database file, the f10 key returns to the default
setting.  (in EDIT, it pops down the menus.)  even the command:

.edit nomenu

still won't allow use of the f10 function key.  the same actions
work correctly in III+ but not in IV.

any suggestions?

--

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (02/22/89)

In article <3199@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:

> i've got a problem with our new version of dbaseIV.
>
> .set function 10 to 'string;'
>
> the f10 key is properly bound only in the dot prompt area.  when i
> attempt to EDIT a database file, the f10 key returns to the default
> setting.  (in EDIT, it pops down the menus.)  even the command:
>
> .edit nomenu
>
> still won't allow use of the f10 function key.  the same actions
> work correctly in III+ but not in IV.
>
> any suggestions?

I'm sorry to say that function keys are programmable as always from
the dot prompt, but that they are reserved in the EDIT command.  The
reason is that the designers of the Control Center, EDIT, BROWSE, QBE,
and so forth, wanted a consistent use of the function keys across all
of these screens.  That way, novice users get to learn that F10 is
always the Menu key.  Also, the designers wanted to use the function keys to
minimize typing by novice users.  The result is a friendly product
that's easy to learn and easy to use, but you can't use programmable
function keys in the friendly environment.

The same is true when you use EDIT with a format file.  But if you bypass
format files and just do the @..GETs yourself, the programmable function
keys are available.  And for dBASE IV, you can program all the Shift-F
keys and Ctrl-F keys as well as the regular function keys.

Hope it helps.

/alastair/