[comp.databases] 1989 ACM SIGMOD

cornily@cnetlu.UUCP (Cornily) (03/14/89)

Hi,
does anyone over there have the program of 1989 ACM SIGMOD which will
hold in Portland (Oregon) (May 31 - June 2) ?
Please, send your response in comp.databases.
Thanks for advance.

timos@mykines.cs.umd.edu (Timos Sellis) (03/16/89)

In article <830@cnetlu.UUCP> cornily@cnetlu.UUCP (Cornily) writes:

>Hi,
>does anyone over there have the program of 1989 ACM SIGMOD which will
>hold in Portland (Oregon) (May 31 - June 2) ?
>Please, send your response in comp.databases.
>Thanks for advance.

Here it goes................
                          1989 ACM SIGMOD
        INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON THE MANAGEMENT OF DATA

                         Portland, Oregon
                       May 31 - June 2, 1989

 The 1989 SIGMOD conference will bring together database research-
 ers, practitioners and users to discuss and explore the expanding
 role of database management in an emerging technological society.
 The  conference  will present a broad technical program featuring
 presentations on theoretical results, semantic issues,  and  sys-
 tems  and applications topics.  In addition there will be tutori-
 als and an exhibit program.

 The technical program is composed  of  42  papers  and  4  panels
 organized  in  two  concurrent  tracks.  The panel topics will be
 Benchmarking, Real Time Databases, User Interfaces, and  Version-
 ing.

 A third concurrent track will feature four half-day tutorials on:
 Databases and Artificial Intelligence; PC-based DBMS's; Databases
 for Software Engineering, and Heterogeneous Distributed  Systems.
 The  exhibit  program  will  have the theme of User Interfaces to
 Database Systems, and will  feature  university  research  proto-
 types, commercial vendors' exhibits and vendor presentations.

 SIGMOD'89 will be held in the Portland  Hilton,  located  in  the
 heart  of  the  "Rose  City", the week prior to Portland's annual
 Rose Festival.  The social program will include  a  reception  on
 Tuesday evening, a sternwheeler cruise up the Willamette River on
 Wednesday afternoon, and a Pacific Northwest Salmon Bake at  OMSI
 (the  Oregon  Museum of Science and Industry) and Washington Park
 Zoo on Thursday evening.

                          EXHIBIT PROGRAM

 This year's exhibit program will have the theme  User  Interfaces
 to  Database  Systems.  The exhibits, which will be open each day
 of the conference, include commercial  products  and  prototypes,
 and university prototypes.  These products and prototypes present
 innovative user interface  solutions  such  as  natural  language
 query  processors,  graphical  query  processors, 4-th generation
 language processors for report generation,  constraint  and  menu
 guided  systems for schema design, customizable editors, and user
 interface generators.  The  user  interface  solutions  presented
 cover  a wide range of database environments including relational
 database systems, object-oriented environments, distributed data-
 bases, and multidatabases.  Anticipated exhibitors include:

                      Commercial Exhibitors

 AICorp, Inc. (INTELLECT, KBMS)
 Altair (O<2>)
 Digital Equipment Corp. (Trellis/Owl)
 INRIA (RDL1)
 Intelligent Business Systems (EasyTalk)
 Microelectronic Computer Corp. (LDL)
 Object Design, Inc. (Schema Designer for ObjectStore)
 Ricoh, Ltd. (Ricoh Base)
 Texas Instruments, Inc. (Zeitgeist)
 Xerox Adv. Info. Tech. (HiPAC)

                       University Exhibitors

 U of California, Berkeley (Picasso/PostGres)
 U of Houston (OMNIBASE)
 U of Indiana, Bloomington (ANDA)
 U of Maryland, College Park (ADMS+-)

                       TUTORIALS DESCRIPTION

 TUTORIAL #1 (Wednesday, 10:30 am - 3:00 pm):  Integrating Artifi-
 cial Intelligence and Database Technologies

 Michael L. Brodie, GTE Laboratories Inc.,  and  John  Mylopoulos,
 University of Toronto

 Integrated AI-Database technology is required for  the  effective
 design, construction, use, and functional enhancement of existing
 and new Information Systems (IS).  It is  also  critical  to  the
 Next Generation of Computing including Intelligent ISs.  This tu-
 torial presents a vision of basic AI and database motivations and
 concepts;    knowledge    representation    and    data   models;
 knowledge/information engineering; deductive databases;  extended
 data/knowledge  base  systems/shells/environments; implementation
 and challenges.  AI-Database research, technology,  and  practice
 is  reviewed  and evaluated based on the new book edited by Mylo-
 poulos and Brodie, Readings in Artificial Intelligence and  Data-
 bases, Morgan Kaufman, San Mateo, 1989.

 The tutorial is intended for professionals working/interested  in
 the area, graduate students and university professors looking for
 research topics.

 Dr. Michael Brodie heads the Intelligent Database Systems Depart-
 ment (IDBS) at GTE Laboratories Inc., in Waltham, Mass.  Prior to
 GTE, he had appointments at the Computer Corporation  of  America
 (CCA)  and  Universities in five countries.  He has authored over
 60 books, journal articles, and refereed conference papers.   For
 over  ten years, he has presented courses on Database Management,
 Information Engineering, CASE, Integrating AI and Database  Tech-
 nologies,  and  Intelligent  Information  Systems  in over twelve
 countries.

 John Mylopoulos holds a Ph.D. degree  from  Princeton  University
 and  is currently professor of Computer Science at the University
 of Toronto. His research interests include knowledge  representa-
 tion systems and their applications to Databases and Software En-
 gineering. He is senior fellow of the Canadian Institute for  Ad-
 vanced  Research, principal investigator of the Information Tech-
 nology Research Centre and co-editor of three  volumes  exploring
 AI and Databases research.

 TUTORIAL #2 (Thursday, 8:30 am - 12:00  am):   PC-Based  Database
 Management Systems

 Dr. David S. Reiner, Lotus Development Corporation

  This tutorial covers the spectrum  of  PC-based  DBMS  architec-
 tures, languages, tools, and related technical issues.  It is ap-
 propriate for users, potential users, and developers of  PC-based
 database management software.

 After a quick history of PC DBMSs, we explore the tradeoffs, lim-
 itations,  and  advantages of personal computer environments (IBM
 PCs, clones, and Macintoshes).  We detail a variety of  architec-
 tures,  including  standalone  systems,  front-ends  to mainframe
 DBMSs, distributed DBMSs, and database servers.  In the tools, we
 consider  query  languages,  data  dictionaries,  forms-based ap-
 proaches, report writers, and utilities. We highlight current ap-
 proaches  to application development, including 4GLs, application
 generators, programming languages, menu  generators,  spreadsheet
 add-ins, and CASE tools.

 The tutorial then considers the evolving query languages and  in-
 terconnection  standards,  gives  a  framework  for  comparing PC
 DBMSs, and visits performance and other technical issues.   Last,
 we  profile  the  microcomputer  DBMS industry, its products, and
 likely future directions.

 Dr. Reiner is a Consulting Engineer in the Advanced Product Divi-
 sion  of Lotus Development Corporation, managing the Database Ad-
 vanced Development Group.  He previously  directed  the  Database
 Environments Section at Computer Corporation of America, where he
 was the chief architect for CCA's Database Design and  Evaluation
 Workbench  prototype.   He  is the former Editor-in-Chief of IEEE
 Database Engineering, and co-edited Query Processing in  Database
 Systems,  published by Springer-Verlag.  Dr.Reiner has a Ph.D. in
 Computer Science from the University  of  Wisconsin-Madison,  and
 has published numerous papers on database design, query optimiza-
 tion, and adaptive performance tuning.

 TUTORIAL #3 (Thursday, 1:30 pm - 5:00 pm):   Database  Technology
 for Software Engineering Environments

 Prof. Klaus R. Dittrich, FZI Karlsruhe (FRG)

 For any kind of computer-aided support  of  software  engineering
 tasks, information management is a crucial issue.  Powerful tools
 can help considerably to provide uniform,  integrated  and  effi-
 cient  solutions.   However,  today's database management systems
 that do such a job for business and administrative types  of  ap-
 plications  fall  short in coping with the more sophisticated re-
 quirements posed by software engineering environments and similar
 areas.   On the other hand, a large bulk of research and develop-
 ment is currently going on worldwide to adjust database  concepts
 and their implementations to the new needs.  This tutorial intro-
 duces the potential of current and emerging  database  technology
 for  computer-aided  software  engineering.  After listening, you
 should be able to appreciate how  software  engineering  environ-
 ments  can  make  use  of database concepts, what they can expect
 from present and future database management components,  and  why
 it  makes  sense to use database technology for integrated design
 systems in general.

                        CONFERENCE PROGRAM

                      Wednesday, May 31, 1989

 8:30 am - 10:00 am
 KEYNOTE ADDRESS                                    State Ballroom
 Speaker:  Ester Dyson, Editor and Publisher, Release 1.0

 10:00 am - 10:30 am
 BREAK                                                       Foyer

 10:30 am - 12:00 am                                     Session 2
 SESSION 2A: Query Processing and Stable Storage
 Chair: M. Eich, Southern Methodist University

 S. Salza and M. Terranova, Instituto di Analisi  dei  Sistemi  ed
 Informatica,
 "Evaluation Sites of Queries on Relational  Databases  with  non-
 uniform Distributions and Stochastic Dependencies"

 E. Kolodner, B. Liskov and W. Weihl, MIT,
 "Atomic Garbage Collection: Managing a Stable Heap"

 G. Dong, University of Southern California,
 "On Distributed Processing  of  Datalog  Queries  by  Decomposing
 Databases"

 SESSION 2B: Database Languages
 Chair: P. Lyngbaek, HP Labs

 R. Agrawal and N. Gehani, AT&T Bell Laboratories,
 "ODE (Object Database and Environment): The Language and the Data
 Model"

 A.  Ohori,  P.  Buneman,  and  B.  Breazu-Tannen,  University  of
 Pennsylvania,
 "Database Programming in Machiavelli  -  a  Polymorphic  Language
 with Static Type Checking"

 A. Borgida, Rutgers University, R. Brachman,  AT&T  Bell  Labora-
 tories,  D.  McGuinness,  AT&T  Bell Laboratories, and L. Alperin
 Resnick, AT&T Bell Laboratories,
 "CLASSIC/DB: A Structural Data Model for Objects"

 SESSION 2C: Tutorial 1
 Instructors:  M. Brodie, GTE  Laboratories,  and  J.  Mylopolous,
 University of Toronto,
 "Integrating Artificial Intelligence and Database Technologies"

 12:00 am - 1:30 pm
 LUNCH                                          Galleria & Parlors

 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm                                       Session 3
 SESSION 3A: Relational Database Extensions
 Chair: R. Hull, University of Southern California

 W.-C. Hou, G. Ozsoyoglu  and  B.  Taneja,  Case  Western  Reserve
 University,
 "Processing Aggregate Relational  Queries  with  Hard  Time  Con-
 straints"

 H. Jagadish, AT&T Bell Laboratories,
 "Incorporating Hierarchy in a Relational Model of Data"

 S. Cammarata, P. Ramachandra and D. Shane, The RAND Corporation,
 "Extending  a  Relational  Database  with  Deferred   Referential
 Integrity Checking and Intelligent Joins"

 SESSION 3B: Benchmarking Panel
 Chair: J. Gray, Tandem Computers

 SESSION 3C:  Tutorial 1, Brodie and Mylopolous, continued

 3:00 pm - 3:30 pm
 BREAK                                                       Foyer

 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
 Sternwheeler Willamette River Cruise

                      Thursday, June 1, 1989

 8:30 am - 10:00 am                                      Session 4
 SESSION 4A: Parallelism and Performance
 Chair:  G. Graefe, Oregon Graduate Center

 G. Copeland and T. Keller, MCC,
 "A Comparison of High-Availability Media Recovery Time"

 D. DeWitt and D. Schneider, University of Wisconsin-Madison,
 "A Performance Evaluation of Four Parallel Join Algorithms  in  a
 Shared-Nothing Multiprocessor Environment"

 M. Carey and M Livny, University of Wisconsin-Madison,
 "Parallelism and Concurrency Control Performance  in  Distributed
 Database Machines"

 SESSION 4B: Parallelism and Performance
 Chair: P. Buneman, University of Pennsylvania

 M. Kifer, SUNY Stony Brook, and G. Lausen, Universitat Mannheim,
 "F-Logic:  A `Higher-Order' Logic for Reasoning about Objects"

 R. Hull and J. Su, University of Southern California,
 "On Accessing Object-Oriented Databases:  Expressive Power,  Com-
 plexity, and Restrictions"

 S. Abiteboul, INRIA, and P. Kanellakis, INRIA - Altair
 "Object Identity as a Query Language Primitive"

 SESSION 4C: Tutorial 2
 Instructor:  D. Reiner, Lotus Development Corporation
 "PC-Based Database Management Systems"

 10:00 am - 10:30 am
 BREAK                                                       Foyer

 10:30 am - 12:00 am                                     Session 5
 SESSION 5A: Logic and Databases
 Chair:  R. Krishnamurthy, MCC

 J. Chomicki, University of Maryland, and T.  Imielinski,  Rutgers
 University,
 "Relational Specification of Infinite Query Answers"

 X.-H. Sun, N. Kamel and L. Ni, Michigan State University,
 "Solving Implication Problems in Database Applications "

 F. Bry, ECRC,
 "Toward an Efficient Evaluation of  General  Queries:  Quantifers
 and Disjunction Processing Revisited"

 SESSION 5B: Triggers and Derived Data
 Chair: R. King, University of Colorado

 Y. Ioannidis, University of  Wisconsin-Madison,  and  T.  Sellis,
 University of Maryland,
 "Conflict Resolution of Rules Assigning Values to Virtual  Attri-
 butes"

 U. Dayal and D. McCarthy, Xerox Advanced Information Technology,
 "The Architecture of An Active, Object-Oriented Database System"

 D. Cohen, University of Southern California,
 "Compiling Complex Database Transition Triggers"

 SESSION 5C:  Tutorial 2, Reiner, continued

 12:00 am - 1:30 pm
 LUNCH                                                 On your own

 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm                                       Session 6
 SESSION 6A: Recursive Query Processing
 Chair:  B. Salzberg, Northeastern University

 J. Naughton, Princeton University, R. Ramakrishnan, University of
 Wisconsin-Madison,  Y.  Sagiv,  Hebrew University, and J. Ullman,
 Stanford University
 "Efficient Evaluation of Right, Left, and Multi-Linear Rules"

 P.-A. Larson and V. Deshpande, University of Waterloo,
 "A File Structure for Supporting Traversal Recursion"

 R. Agrawal, AT&T Bell Laboratories, A. Borgida,  Rutgers  Univer-
 sity, and H. Jagadish, AT&T Bell Laboratories,
 "Efficient Management of Transitive Relationships In  Large  Data
 and Knowledge Bases"

 SESSION 6B: Real Time Databases Panel
 Chair:  G. Ozsoyoglu, Case Western Reserve University

 SESSION 6C:  Tutorial 3
 Instructor:  K. Dittrich, Forschungszentrum Informatik, FRG
 "Database Technology for Software Engineering Environments"

 3:00 pm - 3:30 pm
 BREAK

 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm                                       Session 7
 SESSION 7A: Nested Structures
 Chair:  M. Ozsoyoglu, Case Western Reserve University

 M. Gyssens, University of Antwerp, J.  Paredaens,  University  of
 Antwerp, and D. Van Gucht, Indiana University,
 "A Grammar-Based  Approach  towards  Unifying  Hierarchical  Data
 Models"

 L. Colby, Indiana University,
 "A Recursive Algebra and Query Optimization for Nested Relations"

 A. Tansel and L. Garnett, Bernard M. Baruch College,
 "Nested Historical Databases"

 SESSION 7B: User Interfaces Panel
 Chair:  L. Anderson, Servio Logic

 SESSION 7C:  Tutorial 3, Dittrich, continued

 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
 BANQUET                                  OMSI/Washington Park Zoo

                       Friday, June 2, 1989

 8:30 am - 10:00 am                                      Session 8
 SESSION 8A: Access Methods
 Chair:  E. Moss, University of Massachusetts, Amherst

 J. Orenstein, Object Design,
 "Redundancy in Spatial Databases"

 S. Christodoulakis and D. Ford, University of Waterloo,
 "Retrieval Performance Versus Disc Space Utilization on WORM Opt-
 ical Discs"

 D.  Lomet,  Digital  Equipment  Corporation,  and  B.   Salzberg,
 Northeastern University,
 "Access Methods for Multiversion Data"

 SESSION 8B: Implementing Objects
 Chair:  T. Atwood, Object Design

 E. Shekita and M. Carey, University of Wisconsin-Madison,
 "Performance  Enhancement  Through  Replication  in  an   Object-
 Oriented DBMS"

 W. Kim, E. Bertino and J. Garza, MCC,
 "Composite Objects Revisited"

 E. Chang and R. Katz, University of California, Berkeley,
 "Exploiting Inheritance and  Structure  Semantics  for  Effective
 Clustering and Buffering in an Object-Oriented DBMS"

 SESSION 8C: Tutorial 4
 Instructor:  A. Sheth, Unisys West Coast Research Center
 "Heterogeneous Distributed Databases:  Issues in Integration"

 10:00 am - 10:30 am
 BREAK                                                       Foyer

 10:30 am - 12:00 am                                     Session 9
 SESSION 9A: Query Optimization
 Chair:  A. Rosenthal, Xerox Advanced Information Technology

 G. Graefe and K. Ward, Oregon Graduate Center,
 "Dynamic Query Evaluation Plans"

 A. Swami, Stanford University,
 "Optimization of Large Join  Queries:  Combining  Heuristics  and
 Combinatorial Techniques"

 L. Haas, IBM-Almaden Research Center, J. Freytag, ECRC,  G.  Loh-
 man,  IBM-Almaden  Research  Center, and H. Pirahesh, IBM-Almaden
 Research Center,
 "Extensible Query Processing in Starburst"

 SESSION 9B: Issues in Versioning Panel
 Chair:  W. Kent, HP Labs

 SESSION 9C:  Tutorial 4, Sheth, continued

 12:00 am - 1:30 pm
 LUNCH                                          Galleria & Parlors

 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm                                      Session 10
 SESSION 10A: Concurrency Control and Consistency
 Chair:  D. Lomet, Digital Equipment Corporation

 J. Tang, University of Newfoundland, and N.  Natarajan,  Pennsyl-
 vania State University,
 "A Static Pessimistic Scheme for Handling Replicated Databases"

 C. Ellis and S. Gibbs, MCC,
 "Concurrency Control in Groupware Systems"

 D. Agrawal, University of California-Santa Barbara, and S.  Seng-
 upta, Columbia University,
 "Modular Synchronization in Multiversion Databases: Version  Con-
 trol and Concurrency Control"

 SESSION 10B: Database Design
 Chair:  F. Springsteel, University of Missouri

 O. De Troyer, INFOLAB - Tilberg University, The Netherlands,
 "RIDL*: A Tool for the  Computer-Assisted  Engineering  of  Large
 Databases in the Presence of Integrity Constraints"

 V. Markowitz and A. Shoshani, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories,
 "On the Correctness of Representing Extended  Entity-Relationship
 Structures in Relational Model"

 S. Navathe and M. Ra, University of Florida,
 "Vertical Partitioning for Database Design -  A  Graphical  Algo-
 rithm"

                           SOCIAL EVENTS

                         Conference Events

 Sternwheeler Cruise, Wednesday (5/31/89), 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm.
 A 2-hour cruise on the historic Columbia  River  Sternwheeler  up
 the Willamette River.  Hors d'oeuvres, no-host bar, live music by
 the Bill Davis trio.

 Banquet, Thursday (6/1/89), 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm.
 Wine and hors d'oeuvres at the Oregon Museum of Science  and  In-
 dustry  followed by an outdoor salmon bake at Portland's Washing-
 ton Park Zoo.

                         Companion Events

 Portland City Bus Tour, Wednesday (5/31/89), 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
 Features Washington Park, the Rose Test Gardens, and the historic
 Pittock Mansion.  Cost $10.00 (subject to availability).

 Scenic Columbia River Gorge Bus Tour, Thursday (6/1/89), 9:00  am
 - 1:00 pm.
 Follows the old scenic highway with  stops  at  Multnomah  Falls,
 Bonneville  Dam,  the Oregon State Fish Hatchery and Crown Point.
 Cost $10.00 (subject to availability).

                           Other Events

 Portland's major community event, The Rose Festival, occurs  dur-
 ing  the two weeks that follow the conference (June 2 - June 18).
 Selected parts of the celebration include a Starlight  Parade  on
 Saturday, June 3rd, the Grand Floral Parade on Sunday, June 10th,
 a visiting flotilla of Navy and Coast Guard vessels arriving June
 7th  and  8th,  and waterfront rides and entertainment.  For more
 information, write to:  Portland Rose Festival  Association,  220
 NW 2nd Avenue, Portland, OR, 97209; or call (503) 227-2681.

                      ACM SIGMOD REGISTRATION

 Mail to:  John Bruno
           ACM SIGMOD '89 Registration
           15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway, Suite 100
           Beaverton, OR 97006
           (503) 629-8383

 (Please Print)
 Name_____________________________________________________________

 Organization_____________________________________________________

 Address__________________________________________________________

 Phone No.________________________________________________________

 Net Address______________________________________________________

 Full payment must accompany registration form.   Make  checks  or
 money  order (U.S. dollars only) payable to ACM SIGMOD '89. Writ-
 ten cancellation requests must be received by May 8th; no cancel-
 lations after that date.

 Check          Category              Before            After
  One                                May 8th           May 8th
 _____          ACM/SIG Members        $250              $300
 _____          Non-members            $300              $350
 _____          Students                $90               $90
 _____          One Day Attendance     $150              $150
 Number
 Desired
 ______         Extra Boat Tickets      $20               $20
 ______         Extra Banquet Tickets   $40               $40
 ______         Portland City Tour      $10               $10
 ______         Columbia Gorge Tour     $10               $10

 Registration
 The registration desk will be open on Tuesday evening  from  7:00
 PM  until  10:00  PM  and during the conference days from 8:00 AM
 until 4:00  PM  (except  on  Friday,  until  noon).   Registrants
 (except students) receive admission to all technical sessions and
 tutorials, one copy of the proceedings, and tickets for a  recep-
 tion  on  Tuesday  evening (International Club, 7:00 - 10:00 PM),
 lunch on Wednesday and Friday, the boat cruise on Wednesday even-
 ing,  and  the  conference  banquet on Thursday evening.  Student
 registration includes admission to all  sessions  and  tutorials,
 and a copy of the proceedings.

                      HOTEL RESERVATION FORM

                      DEADLINE:  MAY 2, 1989

 Mail To:       The Portland Hilton                (503) 226-1611
                921 S.W. Sixth Avenue              1-800-HILTONS
                Portland, Oregon 97204-1296

 Accommodation desired:
                [] Single $72                      [] Double $72

 (Please Print)
 Arrival Date__________________Time________________

 Departure Date________________Time________________

 Name_____________________________________________________________

 Organization_____________________________________________________

 Address__________________________________________________________

 Phone No.________________________________________________________

 For arrival after 6:00 pm, indicate method of guarantee:
 [] First night's deposit enclosed: $____
 [] Credit card:     [] VISA        [] MC          [] AE
 Card No._______________________

 Signature______________________

 Transportation to the conference hotel

 Bus:  `Downtowner'  shuttle  to  the  conference  hotel  (Hilton)
 leaves every twenty minutes and costs $5.

 Taxi:  Around $22 to the hotel.

 Driving:

 -    From points south, enter the city on I-5.  Exit  onto  I-405
      (marked  `to  Beaverton/City  Center') and then take the 6th
      Avenue exit.  Proceed north approximately  13  blocks.   The
      Hilton  will  be  on  your  left  between  Salmon and Taylor
      streets.  Turn left and enter the garage from Taylor street.
 -    From points north, enter the city on I-5.  Take the Morrison
      exit.   Go  across  the  Morrison Bridge and proceed west on
      Washington street for 5 blocks.  Turn left on Broadway.  The
      Hilton  Hotel  is  4  blocks south between Salmon and Taylor
      streets.  Circle the hotel by turning left 3 times and enter
      the parking garage from Taylor street.
 -    From the airport, take I-205 south and exit onto I-84  west-
      bound  (marked  `to  Portland',  NOT `to the Dalles').  I-84
      ends abruptly with 3 lanes going 3 ways.  Stay in the middle
      lane and follow the signs to the Morrison Bridge.  Go across
      the bridge and proceed west  on  Washington  for  5  blocks.
      Turn  left  on Broadway.  The Hilton Hotel is 4 blocks south
      between Salmon and Taylor  streets.   Circle  the  hotel  by
      turning left 3 times and enter the parking garage from Tayor
      street.

 Transportation within the city

 The conference hotel is in the center of downtown and  there  are
 many  shops  and  restaurants within easy walking distance.  Taxi
 service is convenient, with a cab line at the hotel.  All bus and
 lightrail  street  cars  are free in the downtown area.  Downtown
 parking can be difficult, but the hotel  has  a  private  parking
 garage.

 Weather

 We expect clear, sunny and warm weather, but it is always wise to
 bring  a coat or sweater, especially for the evening outings.  In
 an average June, the daily maximum temperature is  72.1  F  (22.3
 C).   The  expected  precipitation  for  the month is 1.59 inches
 (4.04 cm) and the relative humidity is 48 percent.

 Additional Hotel Information

 Heathman Hotel: 800/551-0011 or 503/241-4100,  $95+tax  (single),
 $115+tax (double).  Across the street from the conference hotel.

 The Westin Benson: 800/228-3000 or  503/228-9611,  $89+tax  (sin-
 gle), $109+tax (double).  Six blocks away from conference hotel.

 Portland Motor Inn: 800/648-6440 or 503/221-1611,  $55+tax  (sin-
 gle),  $60+tax  (double),  $65+tax (2 doubles).  Five blocks away
 from conference hotel.

                  Oregon Database Forum Workshops

             8:30 am - 5:00 pm, Tuesday, May 30, 1989
                   Hilton Hotel, Portland Oregon

 Sponsored by Oregon Center for Advanced Technology Education
 In cooperation with ACM SIGMOD

 Oregon Database Forum (ODBF) is organizing an  advanced  workshop
 and  two  tutorial short courses in connection with SIGMOD `89 in
 Portland.  ODBF is a group of academic and industrial researchers
 and  developers  in  the  Portland  area  promoting education and
 research in database systems.

               Database Query Optimization Workshop
                  Coordinator: Goetz Graefe, OGC

 This is a technical exchange meeting for researchers in the field
 of database query optimization.  It will be broken into four dis-
 cussion sections, each led  by  a  prominent  researcher  in  the
 field:  rule-based  optimization,  search techniques, selectivity
 estimation and cost functions, execution  techniques.   For  more
 detail, see the December 1988 edition of SIGMOD Record.  Partici-
 pation is limited to 40 people, to be invited on the basis of  an
 extended  abstract  of work in progress or a description and jus-
 tification of the hardest and most important research  topics  in
 database query optimization (2-5 pages).  Please submit contribu-
 tions by April 1, 1989, to Goetz Graefe,  CS&E,  Oregon  Graduate
 Center,  19600  NW  von  Neumann Drive, Beaverton, Oregon, 97006-
 1999.  CSNet: graefe@cse.ogc.edu, (503) 690-1156.

                Hypertext and Databases Shortcourse
            Lecturers: Chuck Kacmar, Dr. John Leggett,
              and John Schnase, Texas A&M University

 The first half of the short course is an introduction  to  hyper-
 text  and  a  survey  of hypertext systems and applications.  The
 second part covers the data management features of  existing  hy-
 pertext  systems,  and  external  database support for them.  The
 course will cover the following: history and overview  of  hyper-
 text, basic concepts and definitions, an overview of existing hy-
 pertext systems, an application-oriented  taxonomy  of  hypertext
 systems,  problems  with the hypertext model, a general architec-
 tural model for hypertext systems, data management models of  ex-
 isting  hypertext systems, selected database models and their re-
 lationship to hypertext, and major  research  and  design  issues
 faced by hypertext designers and users.

         Object-Oriented Design and Databases Shortcourse
        Lecturers: Norm Kerth, Elite Systems, Alan Purdy,
        Instantiations, and Rebecca Wirfs-Brock, Tektronix

 Automating complex systems  requires  a  systematic  approach  to
 analysis,  specification,  design and construction.  In databases
 this problem is compounded by the fact that one must  accommodate
 several different applications with competing and conflicting re-
 quirements.  This shortcourse  will  introduce  emerging  object-
 oriented  design  methodologies  and outline their application to
 DBMS problems.  The goal of an object-oriented methodology is  to
 produce a clean design;  a side-effect is to produce a specifica-
 tion of the set of common, independent objects (or relations) and
 the operations underlying the applications. A single design prob-
 lem will be used throughout the course for illustration.

                   REGISTRATION - ODBF WORKSHOPS

 Pre-registration deadline: May 23, 1989.  You may call the  OCATE
 office  to  pre-register,  or mail in the form with full payment.
 Make checks or money order (U.S. dollars only) payable to  OCATE.
 A  full  refund will be given for cancellations received by phone
 at the OCATE office no later than May 23rd.  No  refund  will  be
 made  for  cancellation  notice  after  that  date,  or  for non-
 attendance.  Substitutes may attend in the place  of  the  regis-
 trant  for  the hypertext and database design short courses.  Fee
 includes materials, coffee breaks, and lunch.  Mail  to:   OCATE,
 PO Box 1926, Beaverton, OR 97075-1926, or phone:  (503) 464-4860.

 (Please Print)
 Name_____________________________________________________________

 Organization_____________________________________________________

 Address__________________________________________________________

 Phone No.________________________________________________________

 Check                              SIGMOD or           Others
  One                              ODBF Members
 _____          Query Optim. WS         $75              $100
 _____          Hypertext SC           $100              $125
 _____          OO-Design SC           $100              $125

                       CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

 General Chairperson
 Earl Ecklund, Mentor Graphics, USA

 Tutorials
 Dennis McLeod, University of Southern California, USA

 Panels
 Goetz Graefe, Oregon Graduate Center, USA

 Exhibition Program
 Len Shapiro, Portland State University, USA
 Denise Ecklund, Mentor Graphics, USA

 Local Arrangements
 Harry Porter, Oregon Graduate Center, USA
 John Schwartz, Mentor Graphics, USA

 Registration
 John Bruno, Servio Logic, USA

 Publicity
 Lougenia Anderson, Servio Logic, USA
 Arne Berre, Center for Industrial Research, Norway

 Treasurer
 Jacob Stein, Servio Logic, USA

 Proceedings
 Jim Clifford, New York University, USA

 European Coordinator
 Klaus Dittrich, Forschungszentrum Informatik, West Germany

 Asian Coordinator
 Akifumi Makinouchi, Fujitsu, Japan

                       CONCEPTS & ALGORITHMS

 Program Chairperson
 David Maier, Oregon Graduate Center, USA

 Program Committee
 Paolo Atzeni, Universita' di Napoli, Italy
 D.S. Batory, University of Texas at Austin, USA
 Peter Buneman, University of Pennsylvania, USA
 Jim Diederich, University of California, Davis, USA
 Denise Ecklund, Mentor Graphics, USA
 Margaret H. Eich, Southern Methodist University, USA
 Eric N. Hanson, AFWAL/TXI, USA
 Richard Hull, University of Southern California, USA
 Paris Kanellakis, INRIA/GIP Altair, USA
 Hank Korth, University of Texas at Austin, USA
 Ravi Krishnamurthy, MCC, USA
 Miron Livny, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
 David Lomet, Digital Equipment Corp., USA
 Peter Lyngbaek, Hewlett Packard, USA
 Leo Mark, University of Maryland, USA
 Alberto Mendelzon, University of Toronto, Canada
 Jack Milton, University of California, Davis, USA
 J. Eliot B. Moss, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA
 Patrick D. O'Brien, Digital Equipment Corp., USA
 Z. Meral Ozsoyoglu, Case Western Reserve University, USA
 D. Stott Parker, University of California, Los Angeles, USA
 Arnon Rosenthal, Xerox Advanced Information Technology, USA
 Betty Salzberg, Northeastern University, USA
 Lawrence Saxton, University of Regina, Canada
 Hans-Joerg Schek, ETH  Swiss  Federal  Institute  of  Technology,
   Switzerland
 Peter Scheuermann, Northwestern University, USA
 Edward Sciore, Boston University, USA
 Jonathan C. Shultis, Incremental Systems Corp., USA
 Frederick Neil Springsteel, University of Missouri, USA
 Craig W. Thompson, Texas Instruments, USA
 Douglas Tolbert, Unisys, USA
 Fernando Velez, GIP Altair, France
 Victor Vianu, University of California, San Diego, USA

                      SYSTEMS & APPLICATIONS

 Program Chairperson
 Bruce Lindsay, IBM, USA

 Program Committee
 Tom Atwood, Object Design, USA
 Margaret Butler, Apple Computer Corp., USA
 Mike Carey, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
 Klaus Dittrich, FZI, W. Germany
 Goetz Graefe, Oregon Graduate Center, USA
 Jim Gray, Tandem, USA
 Randy Katz, Univ. of California, Berkeley, USA
 Roger King, Univ. of Colorado, USA
 Fred Maryanski, Univ. of Connecticut, USA
 C. Mohan, IBM, USA
 Hamid Pirahesh, IBM, USA
 Andreas Reuter, Univ. of Stuttgart, W. Germany

Timos Sellis
CS Dept, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
ARPA:timos@mimsy.umd.edu
USENET:{uunet,decvax,allegra,...}!mimsy!timos