[comp.databases] Interbase ?

ibrahim@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Hisham Ibrahim) (03/14/89)

I work for an engineering design company.  We are currently evaluating
database vendors for the specific purpose of selecting a database
to support our engineering activities (i.e. when completed, the
database will contain a whole lot of design information).  We see
Interbase ( a small company in mass.)  as a potential candidate.

They have the necessary tools and experience in our environment
(Apollo).  We have done some (limited) testing of the product
and find it acceptable.  Surprisingly, I have not seen this vendor
discussed on the net.  Has anybody out there seen, heard of, or
know anything about Interbase?

Robert McHugh

matt@iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) (03/14/89)

In article <6095@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, ibrahim@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Hisham Ibrahim) writes:

> We see
> Interbase ( a small company in mass.)  as a potential candidate.
>
> Has anybody out there seen, heard of, or
> know anything about Interbase?

I was perusing the April 89 issue of Unix World magazine, when lo and behold
on page 52-53 a nice advertising spread from Interbase.  My first exposure
to Interbase was in the VAX/VMS environment.  A 4GL company I work with is
reselling Interbase's database product on the VAX.  My limited understanding
of the situation is that Interbase is composed of some ex-DEC folks who felt
they could do a better job with an RDBMS than DEC.  Their product has a very
nice call level interface (on the VAX anyway) based on DEC's DSRI (Digital
Standard Relational Interface).  Their product appears to be very robust and
well supported.  Beyond that, I can't say much - I haven't really used their
database in a production enviornment.

matt

--
Matthew Reedy                 UUCP: gatech!petro!iquery!matt
Programmed Intelligence Corp.

mitchell@wdl1.UUCP (Jo Mitchell) (03/16/89)

	I've used it for a quick and dirty application.  It's application
	environment isn't too great (read "no 4GL") and in order to
	get the full power you must use their proprietary query language
	(GDML) as opposed to the growing industry standard SQL.
	(This however will get you blobs, triggers, recursive queries for
	those parts expansion or bill of material types of application, and
	other goodies).  It also is lacking in terms of support utilities
	to tune database.  The company isn't fully slicked-out yet (bugs
	in installation tape, informality in customer support - general
	signs of still maturing company).

	It certainly is powerful however - especially for the Apollo (they're
	still limited on Suns: no journaling and only works with C).
	Their document and customer service seem ok.  They're pretty
	inexpensive.  Aside from the neat features GDML gives, Interbase
	also allows you to access databases across a network.  I know
	the Software Productivity Consortium and Lockheed are using it.

	All in all, if you don't mind working with a still maturing
	company with possible risks in using GDML, they're  a good buy.

"Opinions are mine. For today. For the moment.  For the instant.  For the secon