[comp.databases] RDBMS help needed

alb1@rruxw.UUCP (Albert L Barbee) (03/13/89)

I am doing an analysis of available DBMS packages.
I have read reviews of Oracle, Ingres and Informix.
I would like to get any insight from people who work with
these on a daily basis.  I need to know how these perform
with very large databases (20 million records).  Anyone
have any test results or experiences with databases this size?
Also any advice on a hardware platform would be appreciated.
BTW, I want to stay away from big blue!
Please email directly as I do not usually read this group.

Thanks,

A. L. Barbee        alb1@bellcore.bellcore.com

Albert L. Barbee			Bell Communications Research
(201) 699-5252				444 Hoes Lane
alb1@bellcore.bellcore.com		Piscataway, NJ 08854

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (03/17/89)

In article <258@rruxw.UUCP>, alb1@rruxw.UUCP (Albert L Barbee) writes:
> I am doing an analysis of available DBMS packages.
> I have read reviews of Oracle, Ingres and Informix.
> I would like to get any insight from people who work with
> these on a daily basis.  I need to know how these perform
> with very large databases (20 million records).  Anyone
> have any test results or experiences with databases this size?

  Please note that Oracle's licenses specifically forbid publishing benchmark
  results (they want you to concentrate on those pretty pictures of jets....)

  I suppose that we will know that they have caught up with the better dbms's
  when the restriction is lifted :-) :-) :-)

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny