[comp.databases] Informix an RDBMS?

larry@zeek.UUCP (Larry Podmolik) (03/17/89)

In some magazine (PC Week?) recently there was an interview with some
consultant from Codd & Date.  He was asked which products on the
market were really relational databases.  He mentioned Oracle and a
few others.  He then said Informix had "honorary mention" in that
group because it was a relational interface built on top of a non-
relational (C-ISAM) engine.  (BTW, neither Unify nor Ingres was
mentioned at all.)

I guess I don't understand what a truly "relational engine" is in that
sense (i.e.  why Informix doesn't qualify).  And what about Ingres
and Unify?

Any enlightenment appreciated.

Larry

davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg) (03/20/89)

In article <217@zeek.UUCP> larry@zeek.UUCP (Larry Podmolik) writes:
> He then said Informix had "honorary mention" in that
>group because it was a relational interface built on top of a non-
>relational (C-ISAM) engine.  (BTW, neither Unify nor Ingres was
>mentioned at all.)
>
>I guess I don't understand what a truly "relational engine" is in that
>sense (i.e.  why Informix doesn't qualify).  And what about Ingres
>and Unify?
>
>Any enlightenment appreciated.

I'm not sure what they guy is talking about and would appreciate a solid
reference to the article so I can check it out.

Fundamentally, the guy seems off the mark.  (Especially since he works at
Codd and Date because his own boss defines things differently...) The
bottom line is that relational is as relational appears.  At the lowest
level of abstraction it's all 1's and 0's on some disk anyway.  The relational
model is concerned at how the data APPEARS to its users.  My guess is you
could make a relational "engine" on top of a bunch of file clerks and manila
folders if the clerks PRESENTED the data relationally to its end users.

Quoting Date (Guide to DB2):

	... the relational model is a way of looking at data--
	that is, a prescription for how to represent data and how
	to manipulate that representation...

Thus, in my book, to determine whether a DBMS is relational or not you
don't look at how it stores things or how it internally works.  Rather,
you look at the way the data is presented to you and the query language
and its operators.

David Kellogg
Relational Technology New York

As usual, these thoughts are mine (or Date's) and not necessarily those of
my employer.

dan@speedy.wisc.edu (Dan Frank) (03/22/89)

In article <2739@rtech.rtech.com> davek@rtech.UUCP (Dave Kellogg) writes:
>In article <217@zeek.UUCP> larry@zeek.UUCP (Larry Podmolik) writes:
>> He then said Informix had "honorary mention" in that
>>group because it was a relational interface built on top of a non-
>>relational (C-ISAM) engine.  (BTW, neither Unify nor Ingres was
>>mentioned at all.)
>>
>I'm not sure what they guy is talking about and would appreciate a solid
>reference to the article so I can check it out.

   I believe the article was in PC Week, the weekly offering of the PC
Cargo Cult.  The interviewee (Fabian Pascal, I think) felt that Informix
was non-relational because a progammer could utilize the C-ISAM interface
to circumvent security and integrity constraints of the relational schema.

   It's a good thing we have consultants to warn us of such things.

   -- Dan