[comp.databases] Interactive shells from ACCELL

itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) (03/16/89)

In article <13452@ncoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> I use csh as my shell (one of those old csh's from the PDP-11, pre-job
> control, under System V).  When I shell out from Accell via push_shell$() or
> selecting the menu option from the Development Environment, it prints a
> prompt but doesn't maintain history; i.e. it's only *partially* interactive.
> Adding a wrapper to the shell-out sequence (I save the original value of
> $SHELL in $ACLENV_SHELL and set $SHELL to a program which repairs stderr and
> execs $ACLENV_SHELL) does NOT fix this.  Any ideas?

After reading this, I tried the same thing with an application of mine.
This application allows me to specify the command line to be executed and
then executes it with the ACCELL 1.4 system$() function call.  When I just
called "csh", I had the same problem as Brandon.  When I changed the call
to "csh -i", however, I got history and everything!  It's certainly possible
to invoke a wrapper program, as Brandon did, that would add the "-i" option
to the shell command.
--
:  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~
:  Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (03/24/89)

As quoted from <6000@mrspoc.UUCP> by itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List):
+---------------
| In article <13452@ncoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
| > I use csh as my shell (one of those old csh's from the PDP-11, pre-job
| > control, under System V).  When I shell out from Accell via push_shell$() or
| > selecting the menu option from the Development Environment, it prints a
| > prompt but doesn't maintain history; i.e. it's only *partially* interactive.
|
| After reading this, I tried the same thing with an application of mine.
| This application allows me to specify the command line to be executed and
| then executes it with the ACCELL 1.4 system$() function call.  When I just
| called "csh", I had the same problem as Brandon.  When I changed the call
| to "csh -i", however, I got history and everything!  It's certainly possible
+---------------

I am aware of this workaround.  But I have the nasty suspicion that whatever
causes csh to mess up will also cause something *else* to mess up; what
*else* does Accell screw up in the subshell's environment, besides stderr?
I'd rather fix the problem than fix the symptom.

Does 1.3 have system$()?  (I guess I'll have to check tomorrow.)  I don't
remember seeing it in the manual.

Does anyone happen to know how to use the special functions which adev
uses?  (You can see them in a strings on AMGR; they end with $$ instead of
just $.)

---

WORD OF WARNING:  I used to think our copy of 1.3 was completely broken.
Then I got the idea of moving DEFSIZE out to around 6MB -- and magically,
all the "broken" features started working.  Pay close attention to this
parameter.  (Note that the malloc() on the system in question is somewhat
brain-damaged; on other systems you won't get random errors, you'll probably
get an "out of memory" indication.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org