[comp.databases] INFORMIX 4GL screen print

vvk@uel.uel.co.uk (Vijayakumar Vijayaratnam) (03/21/89)

Firstly thanks for the responses to the original question about the subject
of extracting a hard copy of a INFORMIX screen , What I did fail to mention
was that I want to achieve this from a INFORMIX 4GL environment.

I am aware that this task can be accomplished without much pain in the
ordinary INFORMIX product, however INFORMIX 4GL seems to lack this ...

I have read the manuals but there does not seem to be any references to this
facility.

I would appreciate any help in this matter, or a solution on how to go about
writing a general module which can be linked into all our existing modules.

Thanks in advance.

Kumar

!  Vijayakumar Vijayaratnam  Telephone: +44-1-567-7711                      !
!  AT&T UNIX Europe          Facsimile: +44-1-567-2420                      !
!  International House       Telex: 914054 UNIXTM G                         !
!  LONDON W5 5DB             uucp: ...{att,attunix,attmail,ukc...}!uel!vvk  !

jon@altos86.UUCP (Jonathan Ma) (03/30/89)

In article <1031@uel.uel.co.uk> vvk@uel.uel.co.uk (Vijayakumar Vijayaratnam) writes:
>I am aware that this task can be accomplished without much pain in the
>ordinary INFORMIX product, however INFORMIX 4GL seems to lack this ...
>
>I have read the manuals but there does not seem to be any references to this
>facility.
    Just a coincidence, we have a customer who would like to get the capability
	of screen dump in Informix-4GL.  We called Informix to find out what can
	be done for this poor gal.  It turned out that Informix Consulting Service
	in Menlo Park wrote a 4GL module to do the screen dump.  This is available
	to the public for a small fee.

	I'd suggest that you call them at (415)322-4100 and ask for Sales.

-Jon-                          Jonathan Ma, Altos Computer Systems
							   UUCP: {sun,pyramid,elxsi}!altos86!jon

Disclaimer:  those openions are mine alone, not my employers'.

jon@altos86.UUCP (Jonathan Ma) (03/31/89)

In article <889@altos86.UUCP>, jon@altos86.UUCP (Jonathan Ma) writes:
>     Just a coincidence, we have a customer who would like to get the capability
> 	of screen dump in Informix-4GL.  We called Informix to find out what can
> 	be done for this poor gal.  It turned out that Informix Consulting Service
> 	in Menlo Park wrote a 4GL module to do the screen dump.  This is available
> 	to the public for a small fee.
>
> 	I'd suggest that you call them at (415)322-4100 and ask for Sales.
>
> -Jon-                          Jonathan Ma, Altos Computer Systems
> 							   UUCP: {sun,pyramid,elxsi}!altos86!jon

    My apologies to Informix Software Inc and all of you in the netland.
	I'm wrong about the screen dump capability is a 4GL module, on the
	contrary, it's a C routine to interface with Informix-4GL.

	Being a source code customer, Altos will be able to produce this
	object module for our customers using Informix-4GL on the Altos
	series of 386 machines and charge a small fee for this add-on
	capability.

	This is not available to the public for a small fee.  I feel terrible
	when I do something like this, please forgive me.

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (03/31/89)

As quoted from <1031@uel.uel.co.uk> by vvk@uel.uel.co.uk (Vijayakumar Vijayaratnam):
+---------------
| Firstly thanks for the responses to the original question about the subject
| of extracting a hard copy of a INFORMIX screen , What I did fail to mention
| was that I want to achieve this from a INFORMIX 4GL environment.
+---------------

Informix (all versions from the old non-SQL version on) uses a modified
curses called "rdsterm".  You should have an include file called "rdsterm.h"
in the informix include directory.

Most portable:  save current position, use inch() to fetch characters from
the screen, restore cursor.  Only problem is, I don't think rdsterm includes
the curses inch() function.  If it does, any curses manual will give you the
details.

Less portable:

	scrdump()
	{
		int x, y;

		for (y = 0; y < LINES; y++)
			for (x = 0; x < COLS: x++)
				do_something_with(stdscr->_y[y][x]);
	}

The problem with this is that it uses an internal structure (_y).  Also, if
you lack rdsterm.h, you can't do it.  DO NOT TRY TO USE /usr/include/curses.h
FOR THIS!!!  Rdsterm uses a slightly different internal format for the WINDOW
structure.

I don't know of any other way to accomplish it.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu