[comp.databases] CAD/CAM systems using commercial databases

simkin@ginosko.samsung.com (Rick Simkin / Samsung Software America) (04/08/89)

I've been asked to locate any CAD/CAM systems that store their data using
commercially available database products.  (The CAD/CAM systems I know of all
use proprietary databases to store their designs.)

I'd appreciate any leads the people in netland could provide me.  Please
send e-mail; if there's enough interest, I'll summarize the results.

Thanks in advance!
Rick Simkin                          ||  Phone: +1 (508) 685-7200 x128
Samsung Software America, Inc.       ||  Internet: simkin@samsung.com
1 Corporate Drive                    ||  UUCP: uunet!ginosko!simkin
Andover, Massachusetts  01810  USA   ||    (uunet, cg-atla, ulowell or infinet)

the@cs.utexas.edu (Khe-Sing The) (04/08/89)

In article <1014@ginosko.samsung.com>, simkin@ginosko.samsung.com (Rick Simkin / Samsung Software America) writes:

> I've been asked to locate any CAD/CAM systems that store their data using
> commercially available database products.  (The CAD/CAM systems I know of all
> use proprietary databases to store their designs.)

I have heard of such system. Cbase 1.0 from Univ of Southern California
uses Vbase, a commercially available object oriented database from
Ontologic.  For reference, see the article about it in Proc. IEEE
International Conf. on CAD 1988, page 392--395.

---
Khe-Sing The  @ CS Dept, U Texas Austin.  Internet & UUCP: the@cs.utexas.edu
+1 512 471 9572  BITNET: the%cs@UTA3081  THEnet/SPAN: UTADNX::MAILER%"the@cs"

donovan@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Donovan Hsieh) (04/10/89)

You will find that it's very difficulty for any existing commercially available
DBMS to support the CAD/CAM applications. To be more specific, any of DBMS
products based on the relational model has been proven to be insufficient
for CAD/CAM area in terms of data modeling capability. Since they don't
many critical requirements such as the composite/complex design objects.

Your best chance is to look for the DBMS products based on the object model.
They don't necessarily solve all of your problems. But they are more close to
what you are asking for.

Donovan Hsieh
Software Methods Lab
Hewlett-Packard

simkin@ginosko.samsung.com (Rick Simkin) (04/19/89)

My thanks to those people who responded to my request for information about
CAD/CAM products running on top of commercial databases.  I've gotten enough
direct inquiries on what information I received that I've decided to post a
summary to the network.

More than one person told me that CAD/CAM developers consider commercially
available DBMSs to be inadequate for the needs of CAD/CAM applications.
However, people also told me the following:

- Cbase 1.0 from the University of Southern California uses VBase as its
  database; there's an article about it in Proceedings of the IEEE
  International Conference on CAD 1988, pp. 392-395.  VBase is produced
  by Ontologic.
        Ontologic Inc.
        47 Manning Road
        Billerica MA,  01821
        (508) 667-2383

- The CAD Framework Initiative might be addressing the issue of standardized
  CAD/CAM data storage.
        CAD Framework Initiative
        c/o MP Associates
        7490 Clubhouse Rd. #102
        Boulder, CO  80301
        (303) 530-4562

- Intergraph has just announced its Relational Interface System, which lets
  its VAX-based graphics packages run on top of Ingres, Oracle and Informix.
        Intergraph Corporation
        Huntsville, AL