[comp.databases] dBase IV -- OPINIONS

dcc003@muvms1.bitnet (04/24/89)

In article <45@mdi386.UUCP>, bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
> The current dBASE4 is the logical extension of what happens when marketing
> controls the company, and not anyone else is considered.  dBASE4 is a good
> product IF:
> 1. dbase is intended to be a bad clone of Paradox.
> 2. you never intend to actually DO anything with it.
 In the few short months that I have been using dBase IV, I have been able to
 do more with it than the old dBase III+.  In fact, once someone releases a
 decent compliler for it, I think some excellent applications will come out of
 it.

> 4. You never saw dBASEIII or any of the clones.
I have seen III, as well as foxbase, so far my vote still goes with IV.

> But if you work for a big corporation, you will get dBASEIV, and put it on
> the shelf and continue to use dBASEIII or Clipper or Foxbase.
> I know these are rambling thoughts, but I get irrational every time I hear
> that dBASE IV is such a great improved product.

 My only question for you is this, Have you even tried to use dBase IV?  I see
 no sign of evidence in your RAMBLINGS to suggest that you have.  So far, IV is
 an improvement over III.  I will admit to a few noticable bugs, (but can you
 think of a product without them in the inital releases?)  but so far it hasn't
 been a problem that couldn't be gotten around.

 Ken