[comp.databases] Remote Database Access Protocol?

foot@tc.fluke.COM (Andrew Proudfoot) (04/27/89)

I've seen passing references to a "Remote Database Access Protocol"
several times now.  Can anyone tell me what it is or refer me to some
literature describing it?  Thanks.

Andy Proudfoot			|| phone: (206) 356-5446
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.	||
M/S 223B 			|| domain: foot@tc.fluke.COM
PO Box C9090			||
Everett, WA  98206		|| uucp:  {uw-beaver,microsof,sun}!fluke!foot

andy@garnet.berkeley.edu (Andy Lieberman) (04/27/89)

In article <7928@fluke.COM> foot@tc.fluke.COM (Andrew Proudfoot) writes:
>I've seen passing references to a "Remote Database Access Protocol"
>several times now.  Can anyone tell me what it is or refer me to some
>literature describing it?  Thanks.

This is probably something different than what you're looking for, but
may be of interest anyway:

Z39.50 has been recently dveloped by the National Info. Standards Organization.
It bills itself as a "Information Retrieval Service Definition and Protocol
Specification for Library Applications".

The abstract reads:

This standard species an OSI application layer service definition and protocol
specification for Information Retrieval.  The protocol allows an application on one
computer to query the database of another computer.  The protocol specifies
the procedures and structures for the intersystem submission of a search
request (including the syntax of the query), request for the transmission
of a database records located by the search, the responses to the requests,
access control, and resourc control.

The standard is available from:
National Bureau of Standards
Administration 101
Library E-106
Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899

My understanding is that the standard is now complete, but has not actually
been implemented by anybody yet.  I think (and hope) that in the near
future it will become common for library applications (which are of course only
a subset of all database applications).  There is plenty of room within the
standard for expansions, so will probably be better than following no
standard at all.

jmatrow@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Matrow) (04/27/89)

In article <23651@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> andy@garnet.berkeley.edu (Andy Lieberman) writes:
>In article <7928@fluke.COM> foot@tc.fluke.COM (Andrew Proudfoot) writes:
>>I've seen passing references to a "Remote Database Access Protocol"
>>several times now.  Can anyone tell me what it is or refer me to some
>>literature describing it?  Thanks.
>
>Z39.50 has been recently dveloped by the National Info. Standards Organization.
Is NISO new?

>It bills itself as a "Information Retrieval Service Definition and Protocol
>Specification for Library Applications".
>The standard is available from:
>National Bureau of Standards
Hasn't this been renamed?

The Spring, 1989 issue of CONNECT: The Journal of Computer Networking,
published by 3COM, has an article "The Paths of Communication" by Rick
Villers. In it, he says "No company or group has yet completely addressed
all the complexities involved in ensuring [distributed database] security,
compatibility and concurrence. The most promising approach to solving these
issues, a group of proposed ISO standards concerning remote database
access (RDA) and transaction processing (TP), seeks to establish standard
distributed database services. ... The most optimistic projections for
their completion call for initial standards no earlier than 1993".

--
John Matrow   Information Systems & Services, NCR E&M Wichita
 NCR:654-8851 <J.Matrow@Wichita.NCR.COM>

stein@oscsuna.osc.edu (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) (04/27/89)

In article <23651@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> andy@garnet.berkeley.edu (Andy Lieberman) writes:
>In article <7928@fluke.COM> foot@tc.fluke.COM (Andrew Proudfoot) writes:
>>I've seen passing references to a "Remote Database Access Protocol"
>>several times now.  Can anyone tell me what it is or refer me to some
>>literature describing it?  Thanks.
>
>Z39.50 has been recently dveloped by the National Info. Standards Organization.
>It bills itself as a "Information Retrieval Service Definition and Protocol
>Specification for Library Applications".
>
>The standard is available from:
>National Bureau of Standards
>Administration 101
>Library E-106
>Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899
Actually, I phoned the NITS (National Institutes of Technology
and Standards), formerly the NBS, and they referred me to
the following outfit:

Transaction Publishing Inc.
Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ 08903
201-931-2280

Z39.50 is available and costs $35.

It seems that the National Information Standards Organization (NISO) writes
the standards for this stuff, but relies on another organization to publish
it.  I guess the government printing office is too slow :-)?
--
Richard M. Stein (aka Rick 'Transputer' Stein)
Office of Research Computing @ The Ohio Supercomputer Center