[comp.databases] UNIX dBASE

jbrown@herron.uucp (Jordan Brown) (04/27/89)

> There are still problems (distribution, support) with making dBASE available
> on minicomputers.  We've graduated from a Vax to a Pyramid with some Sun
> workstations, but a Unix version is still in the future.

Boy, it's amazing how many people can't remember the versions for the AT&T
3b series and the AT&T UNIX PC.

In early '84 AT&T released dBASE 2.4E (really dBASE III-) for the 3b2 (and
perhaps the 3b5).  When they introduced the UNIX PC (early '85?), dBASE III
was one of the products-available-at-intro.  I actually played with a copy
at a dealer.

As one of the people responsible for UNIX ports of dBASE III, I'm mildly
offended every time I hear Mr. Ed talk about how they're "going" to
work on a UNIX version... we had a pretty good version (except for
terminal output speed, sigh, but in retrospect easy to fix) FIVE years
ago!  If A-T hasn't got one now, it's because their (management &
marketting's) priorities didn't include MAINTAINING the UNIX compatibility
we put in.

---
As usual, these opinions are mine only, and not my employer's.

jeffery@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG (Jeff Sheese) (04/28/89)

In an article of <27 Apr 89 10:11:26 GMT>, jbrown@herron.uucp (Jordan Brown) writes:

 >As one of the people responsible for UNIX ports of dBASE III, I'm mildly
 >offended every time I hear Mr. Ed talk about how they're "going" to
 >work on a UNIX version... we had a pretty good version (except for
 >terminal output speed, sigh, but in retrospect easy to fix) FIVE years
 >ago!  If A-T hasn't got one now, it's because their (management &
 >marketting's) priorities didn't include MAINTAINING the UNIX
 >compatibility we put in.

I remember that version.  It was a lot more user friendly than Informix,
from the 'office user' point of view.  It was also a very good port, but
could have used more support from the Ashton-Tate management, who could
hardly spell *nix in those days.

Jeff "mail all flames to null@netsys!jsheese" Sheese
--
Jeff Sheese - via FidoNet node 1:109/116
UUCP: ...!netsys!jsheese!jeffery

(Send all replies to netsys!jsheese!jeffery)