[comp.databases] data language

lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) (04/25/89)

Does anyone have experience with a database system by the name
of "Data Language?"  Apparently from Texas, it was written for the
DOS world, but supposedly now runs under Xenix as well.

If you have used it and have comments, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.
Len Jacobs
lj@ursa-major.spdcc.com

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (04/27/89)

In article <3089@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) writes:
> Does anyone have experience with a database system by the name
> of "Data Language?"  Apparently from Texas, it was written for the
> DOS world, but supposedly now runs under Xenix as well.

"Progress" is the database system written by formerly Data Language
Corporation, now Progress Corporation.  They are in (or close to)
Billerica, MA.

If this is the product that you are looking at (they do have distributors
around the country) it is a first-rate system.  It runs on DOS, UNIX on
zillions of different systems (yes, even XENIX) and VMS.  I have been
usign it for over two years and am very happy with it.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

hughes@math.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (04/28/89)

In article <1909@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc (Phil Hughes) writes:
>"Progress" is the database system written by formerly Data Language
>Corporation, now Progress Corporation.  They are in (or close to)
>Billerica, MA.

I have seen a product advertised by the Programmer's Shop called
D, the Data Lanuguage.  Call PS for more details.  I know nothing about it.

Eric Hughes
hughes@math.berkeley.edu   ucbvax!math!hughes