[comp.databases] WANTED: Info about Bibliographic Database Software

klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) (05/01/89)

I am interested in finding an inexpensive (if possible)
bibliographic software package preferably for the IBM-PC.
I realize that I could write a DBase-type of program to
do what I want, but I don't really want to take the time.
(As I recall, the fields were too small for large abstracts.)

What I want to be able to do is create a searchable annotated
bibliography of journal articles, books, etc.  The ideal
program would also take the entries and be able to create
a standard reference list (such as APA style).

Let me know if you need more information, and thanks for any help!

--
Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (05/02/89)

In article <4078@bgsuvax.UUCP> klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) writes:
>I am interested in finding an inexpensive (if possible)
>bibliographic software package preferably for the IBM-PC.
>
>What I want to be able to do is create a searchable annotated
>bibliography of journal articles, books, etc.  The ideal
>program would also take the entries and be able to create
>a standard reference list (such as APA style).

Look at "Bibliofile: Humanizing the UNIX System," COMPUTERS AND THE
HUMANITIES 18 (1984): 71-85. This describes my file management system
originally developed for work in bibliographic work in medieval
European and Japanese texts (sorry no kanji yet). Since I wrote the
article in COMPUTERS AND THE HUMANITIES, I have greatly expanded the
system and ported it to MSDOS and other versions of **IX including SCO
Xenix 286, Ultrix, Sun OS, etc.

The principal attraction(s) of Bibliofile are: (a) it runs on MSDOS and
**IX platforms with the same file system; (b) as far as possible field
number and size limitations are set by the hardware, not by arbitrary
programmer's decisions; (c) editor commands identical to ex/vi,
format commands a subset of C.

The principal "defects" of the system are: (a) it is a **IX style
system with separate tools for each function; (b) it is strictly text
with no exploding windows, color, etc.; (c) you have to write
your own "style sheets" in a subset of C (Turabian, Writer's
Guide, available as an example).

The MSDOS version will not have all functions unless you have the
MKS Toolkit.

The price, $0.00. The support, whatever I feel like giving.

Distribution forms:

*	1600 bpi tape (source code, VAX 11/785 binaries);

*	5.25 floppies (source code, SCO Xenix binaries, MSDOS binaries);

*	3.5 floppies (source code, SCO Xenix binaries, MSDOS binaries);

*	ftp to YOUR machine (source code, SCO Xenix binaries, MSDOS
	binaries, VAX 11/785 4.3 BSD binaries, VAX 8800 Ultrix binaries,
	Sun OS 68* binaries);

*	telnet from my personal machine (source code, SCO Xenix
	binaries, MSDOS binaries);

If you are interested, reply to the address indicated in the
signature below.  NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT THE SAME ADDRESS THAT YOU
WILL GET BY USING THE REPLY COMMAND OF THE NEWSREADER!  IF YOU
ARE NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO READ THIS NOTICE AND REPLY AS
REQUESTED, I WILL ASSUME YOU ARE NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO
INSTALL MY SYSTEM ON YOUR MACHINE!!!!

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck

wvanbeek@tippy.uucp (05/04/89)

If I recall, there was a reference to a dbms going by the name of
'BIBLIO' (ic).  I had saved the reference, but can't find it right
now (machine death and the like).  I remember that it was multiplatform
and PC's were included.  The cost was a very high $0 and probably going
to double in the near future.  A local library is currently using the
software and very happy with it.

I would be interested in the software now that the semester has ended.

...bill van beek            tippy!wvanbeek@newton.physics.purdue.edu
                            wvanbeek@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu