summary:

From: uunet!mdi386!bruce (Bruce A. McIntyre)

I have used the following rather extensivly:
PC's and LAN's:
1. dBASEIII
2. Foxbase+
3. Clipper
4. Progress
My favorite for quick and dirty is Foxbase and/or Clipper.. If I need
to deliver without runtime, or maximum speed is needed, its Clipper.
If flexibility and debugging are important, its Foxbase.

For complex applications, with error recovery, automatic rollback,
ease of building and maintenence, and speed, it's Progress. Otherwise
it's Foxbase+

for UNIX,XENIX and other systems...
1. Progress
2. Foxbase+
3. Informix

My favorite for the quick and dirty is still Foxbase... but if I need
to build a solid application, with Auto-Rollback and/or Roll forward,
a bullet proof application that is transportable between any environment
from UNIX and VMS to BTOS/CTOS, my choice is Progress from Progress software.

One of the main reasons, is their support for native mode SQL in addition
to their own 4GL, and support for Multi-threaded servers,
They also support access to remote databases over homogeneous networks,
with multiple database access, and access of Oracle databases single use
or over networks coming this summer...

Boy does it make my life easier...
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce	bruce@wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.

the latest Data Based Advisor has comparisons of numerous PC DBMSes.
It's the May issue.

DBA's phone number is 619-483-6400.
--
Jordan Brown
jbrown@jato.jpl.nasa.gov

In article <30427@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, mds@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Michael Siegel) writes:
> >[concerning dBASE, Clipper, Foxbase performance]
> > bruce
> Do you have any feeling about application development time for these
> products. I have been developing systems in Paradox since it came out
> in 1985. Before that I worked with the dbase products. I am very please
> with the application development environment in Paradox. I think the
> query optimizer and thus performance may be slow in some instances,
> though probably not in comparison with dbase. Well just fishing for
> a reason to believe there is a better product. If you feel like taking
> the hook I would appreciate your comments.
>
> ---Michael (mds@bu-cs.bu.edu)
We have used/investigated/reviewed quite a few database products, but
it the end, we picked the one that made our lives the easiest.  Power
with Control...
We tried:
Oracle, Informix, Informix-4GL, Profile, Today, Unify, Unify-Accell, etc.
In one way or another, they fell down either by running out of power,
creating roadblocks, not solid enough or transportable enough, or slow..

We have made the decision that all new products will be built in Progress
from Progress Software...
This system development 4GL allow us to develop ONCE regardless of the
OS and/or Hardware we are going to deliver on.  Progress supports:
1. PC-DOS
2. DOS Networks (3-com, Novell, etc)
3. UNIX (Some 30-40 different flavors)
4. XENIX
5. VMS
6. BTOS/CTOS
7. AIX
And coming soon to others near you.
We can port via source code to any of these environments without changing
a line of code.  And it is FAST and RELIABLE.
Full transaction processing with automatic rollback. Good logical locking
defaults, Full data-dictionary, In line SQL and/or Progress 4GL code,
Bulletproof fast and maintainable.. Popup windows, scrollable frames,
unlimited database size, etc.
The Final test was when a real application, running with over 40 users, and
a 150MB+ database had the plug pulled out of the wall.  The database recovered
itself back to the last completed transaction.  I have yet to meet one
developer that has used progress, and willingly gone back to another environ-
ment.
Progress this june will be available as a front end for Oracle databases
in addition to their own, or mix and match, connect on the fly.
Support over Ethernet, Token-Ring, etc. in mixed hardware environments, etc.
Give it a try.
bruce
---
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1|prapc2}!mdi386!bruce	bruce@wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.
Subject: comparative analyses of dbs

a fine benchmark was produced and used by Valid to evaulate various dbs for
cad/cam/cae uses.

another good benchmark and study was produced by sun microsystems.

You don't state what the criteria should be for the analysis; certainly
there are different uses and therefore different 'bests' (though I certainly
can't think of a good use for servio's gemstone ... -;) ) Our older product
Vbase is good for modelling complex relationships with reasonable performance
in engineering applications.  Our new product Ontos uses the C++ language as
its modelling paradigm and therefore requires more from the user, but has
MUCH better performance than anything else I've seen ( !! for engineering
applications -- this is an important distinction !! ).

It is really necessary to look at some of the conference proceedings to see how
the various benchmarks are slanted - they are each focused at a different
set of use expectations, which leads to different ratings.

If you have any more detailed questions, don't hesitate to ask.

rich fetik , uunet!ontologic!fetik OR ontologic!fetik@uunet.uu.net