[comp.databases] Question on strange behaviour of ABF in INGRES V5.0/01

paul@cantuar.UUCP (Paul Ashton) (05/05/89)

In the last few weeks I have just started using the rtingres application
generator abf.  On several occassions I have experienced the following
problem:

I have recently created a new application and it contains a few frames.
When I select go from the application definition window.  An executable
image is built, with no obvious problems, and then I am prompted for the
name of a frame to run.  I enter the name of one of my frames, and I am
told that it is undefined! This happens for all of the frames in the
application.

If I play around a little (deleting the first frame created in the
application, then quitting from abf, going back into abf, then trying go
from the application definition frame again) I can usually get go to
find my frames.  As yet I haven't worked out any pattern as to when go
in the application definiton menu is able to find frames, and when it
isn't.

We are running RTI INGRES V5.0/01 (sun.u42/05), on a small network of
Sun 3s running SunOS 4.0.1.  INGRES/NET is used to access the database
form the diskless clients.  The above problem occurs on the server and
on the clients.

Any help greatly apreciated.

Thanks, Paul Ashton.

--
Internet(ish):  paul@cantuar.{uucp,nz}  JANET/SPEARNET: p.ashton@nz.ac.canty
UUCP:              ...!{watmath,munnari,mcvax,...!uunet!vuwcomp}!cantuar!paul

edg@squid.rtech.com (Ed Goldman) (05/11/89)

In article <1104@cantuar.UUCP> paul@cantuar.UUCP (Paul Ashton) writes:
>In the last few weeks I have just started using the rtingres application
>generator abf.  On several occassions I have experienced the following
>problem:
>
>I have recently created a new application and it contains a few frames.
>When I select go from the application definition window.  An executable
>image is built, with no obvious problems, and then I am prompted for the
>name of a frame to run.  I enter the name of one of my frames, and I am
>told that it is undefined! This happens for all of the frames in the
>application.
>
>We are running RTI INGRES V5.0/01 (sun.u42/05), on a small network of
>Sun 3s running SunOS 4.0.1.  INGRES/NET is used to access the database
>form the diskless clients.  The above problem occurs on the server and
>on the clients.

You are running an old 5.0 release which is *not* compatable with the
4.0 SunOS.  The symptoms you describe are exactly consistent with this.
You'll need 5.0/04a (sun.u42/07).

The root of the problem , I believe, is that sun changed the setjmp()
semantics in 4.0.

-edg-