[comp.databases] NATURAL. A LANGUAGE? A DBMS ? NEITHER?

A5V@PSUVM.BITNET (05/06/89)

does anyone knows what NATURAL is? All I know is that it is a
package used in IBM mainframes. What is it ? . Any information will
be appreciated. Thanks

bobd@bloom.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) (05/08/89)

NATURAL is Software AG's 4GL that runs in conjunction with Adabas - their
DBMS.  The system runs (as the original poster mentioned) in a BIG BLUE
environment.  The language is not too bad and very easy to for a new user
to learn simple 'display to screen' kinds of queries.  As a programmer, I
don't like the fact that it "protects" me from getting into trouble by
leaving features out.  A sampling of the most glaring ommissions - arrays
and subroutines.  Still, if you don't have a lot of math to worry about,
you can develop nice applications quite quickly.

-=-
Bob Donaldson              ...!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!radian!bobd
Radian Corporation                    ...!sun!texsun!radian!bobd
PO Box 201088
Austin, TX  78720       (512) 454-4797

Views expressed are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

bjornb@rhi.hi.is (Bjorn H Bjornsson) (05/14/89)

In article <624@bloom.UUCP> bobd@bloom.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) writes:

> ...  As a programmer, I
>don't like the fact that it "protects" me from getting into trouble by
>leaving features out.  A sampling of the most glaring ommissions - arrays
>and subroutines.

Not quite true.
Natural has been updated to Natural 2, which is a HUUUGE improvement over
version 1.  Nat 2 has among other things both arrays and subroutines
(which admittedly should of course have been included from the start).
As a programmer I don't like everything about it, but then I can always
find something to dislike in every language.
Nat2 with adabas and integrated documentation facilities etc., is actually
a very powerful package, and can be used to do anything anyone would
ever want a db to do.
Lower level programming with no protection is always availible through
external assembler/plI/etc routines.

Bjorn

Disclaimer:
   These are my opinions [but probably also those of my employer  =)  ]
--
Bjorn Heimir Bjornsson		Internet:  bjornb@rhi.hi.is
University of Iceland		UUCP:	   {mcvax,enea}!hafro!rhi!bjornb