[net.unix-wizards] CHAOS support for 4.2BSD

Marshall Rose <mrose@udel-dewey.ARPA> (02/05/85)

Howdy.  I'm looking for any information on CHAOSnet support for a "standard"
4.2BSD UNIX on a VAX-11/750 connected to an ethernet.  In particular, I'm
interested in hooking up to a couple of lisp machines which speak CHAOS
and I'd like to run the usual TELNET/FTP/SMTP between the lisp engines and
the 750.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  Many thanks,

/mtr

ps: please reply to me only to avoid congesting the list.  thanks.

acheng@uiucdcs.UUCP (02/12/85)

/* Written  2:47 pm  Feb  5, 1985 by mrose@brl-tgr in uiucdcs:net.unix-wizards */
/* ---------- "CHAOS support for 4.2BSD" ---------- */
Howdy.  I'm looking for any information on CHAOSnet support for a "standard"
4.2BSD UNIX on a VAX-11/750 connected to an ethernet.  In particular, I'm
interested in hooking up to a couple of lisp machines which speak CHAOS
and I'd like to run the usual TELNET/FTP/SMTP between the lisp engines and
the 750.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  Many thanks,

/mtr

ps: please reply to me only to avoid congesting the list.  thanks.
/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.unix-wizards */

I have tried to send mail directly to mrose@brl-tgr but got rejected.
Please pardon the response here.

We would like to know similar information too.  Please post the results.

		Albert Cheng
		ARPA: acheng@uiuc
		CSnet: acheng%uiuc@csnet-relay
		USENET: {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!acheng
		Postnet: Rm. 222, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, IL 61801

ks@pur-ee.UUCP (Smith) (02/12/85)

In article <8044@brl-tgr.ARPA> Marshall Rose <mrose@udel-dewey.ARPA> writes:
>Howdy.  I'm looking for any information on CHAOSnet support for a "standard"
>4.2BSD UNIX on a VAX-11/750 connected to an ethernet.  In particular, I'm
>interested in hooking up to a couple of lisp machines which speak CHAOS
>and I'd like to run the usual TELNET/FTP/SMTP between the lisp engines and
>the 750.
>
>Any pointers would be appreciated.  Many thanks,
>
>/mtr
>
>ps: please reply to me only to avoid congesting the list.  thanks.

Unfortunately, the mailer at udel-dewey is having problems with your mail.
Other people have expressed interest, so here goes...

We have a lisp machine connected to our vaxen through TCP/IP.
In general, we have been quite pleased with the TCP/IP package
available from Symbolics.  (I assume you are refering to symbolics machines).
Of course there are some glitches with the implementation,
but the overall functionality is present, and the small problems
we had were mostly my mistakes in configuring the system.
This route seemed more attractive than supporting chaosnet on a vax.
Now our lisp machine is able to talk to many vaxen, in fact
it was just recently put on the arpanet, where it can successfully
communicate with well over 1000 machines.

You really ought to investigate this alternative route.

					Kirk Smith
					ks@pur-ee.UUCP
					ks@purdue-ecn.ARPA

sid@linus.UUCP (Sid Stuart) (02/17/85)

In article <13700099@uiucdcs.UUCP> acheng@uiucdcs.UUCP writes:
>Howdy.  I'm looking for any information on CHAOSnet support for a "standard"
>4.2BSD UNIX on a VAX-11/750 connected to an ethernet.  In particular, I'm
>interested in hooking up to a couple of lisp machines which speak CHAOS
>and I'd like to run the usual TELNET/FTP/SMTP between the lisp engines and
>the 750.

	We get our Chaosnet software from Symbolics in Cambridge, MA.
	It comes as part of the software support of our lisp macines.
	We have it running on a Vax 11/780 with an Interlan board.
	We have had no problems with the software so far and even
	back up the lisp machines on the Vax.

					sid at linus