[comp.databases] Focus 4GL/DBMS

18215PER@MSU.BITNET (05/12/89)

Our college is looking into acquiring the Focus DBMS and 4GL from
Information Builders Incorporated for our PCs and IBM 9370.  We would
appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used Focus either solely
or as a front end to other databases.

Thanks,
Phil Rieke

michael@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Michael Duebner) (05/15/89)

In article <7418215PER@MSU> 18215PER@MSU.BITNET writes:
>Our college is looking into acquiring the Focus DBMS and 4GL from
>Information Builders Incorporated for our PCs and IBM 9370.  We would
>appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used Focus either solely
>or as a front end to other databases.
>
>Thanks,
>Phil Rieke

We have been using FOCUS on a VAX for over 18 months.  It servers as an
application development environment as well as a report writer for databases
that are maintained by other application software products.

Two major applications were developed completely within FOCUS.  One is used
by our technical hotline support staff to manage and track daily phone
calls.  The other processes membership applications for the association.  Of
course the usual splendor of mailing label generation as well as UPS
shippment manifesting is part of the lineup.

FOCUS takes a bit of getting used to, but once you stopped yourself from
hitting return to move from field to field, FOCUS uses the 'tab' key for
that, its pretty smooth sailing.  Included in the package are a Window
generator for pop-up menus, prompts, etc.; a database description generator
(filetalk), a window driven report writer (tabletalk) as well as a program
editor (ted) with a built in screen painter.

Multi-user access to a database is handled through a server.  Requests for
information are made to the server, you simply check a variable after
writing the information to see if what you had was current.

All versions of FOCUS, regardless of the O/S operate the same.  This makes
it easy to develope software on the PC and then send it up to the mainframe.
FOCUS has an internal mechanism for allowing the user/programmer to download
databases, or portions of to the PC from the mainframe.  Its all pretty
transparent.

IBI (Information Builders, Inc.) has training classes available for every
level of user.  We have sent high level management to the report writer
classes and they are now running they own ad-hock queries.  As the resident
prog I have had occasion to use their helpline and hotline support.  Those
people are not afraid to spend some time researching your problem and
getting you out of a jam when things don't work as expected.

I am in no way connected with IBI and this is not a paid plug.  The product
simply works and their support is outstanding.  Upgrades have been every 6
months in the past and are always substantial.  If you are planning on a
distributed environement with PCs and a mainframe or mini, its worth checking
out.

Michael Duebner	                UUCP : michael@ddsw1.MCS.COM
Tech Svc, Buffalo Grove, IL             	312/541-6550