[comp.databases] Sybase Secure DBMS

tim@phobos.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (05/16/89)

In article <519@daitc.daitc.mil> jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) writes:
>In article <13680@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, c162-aj@zooey (Mark Christiansen) writes:
>>[According to Computerworld, Syabase] is
>>(as of the articles read from 1988) the only database with
>>government security clearance,
>
>Not true.  What you mean is certification of secure system operation,
>and no DBMS has this; none has been certified secure at any level.
>Sybase has said they are aiming at getting one of their products
>certified at, I believe, the B1 level.  This means they will put
>resources into it and they hope to get it.  It doesn't mean they have
>gotten it.  No one has.

Correct.  Just like to mention that we are concurrently developing
our secure RDBMS server for evaluation at the B2 level as well (my current
charter, actually).  It is currently targeted to bare VAX hardware.  That is,
it replaces the operating system (no VMS or Ultrix is present when it
is running) and implements its own device and memory management control
policies.

It is completely compatible with all B1 system interfaces, so a customer
running the B1 system could replace it with the B2 system with no
application impact.  The B2 system will turn machines across the
VAX price/performance spectrum into secure database machines.

N.B. - we at Sybase call these systems the "B1" and "B2" systems
although neither has yet been evaluated.

-TW
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
tim@sybase.com          {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
Voluntary disclaimer: This message is solely my personal opinion.
		      It is not a representation of Sybase, Inc.  OK.