[comp.databases] SOLOMON?

mrt@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michelle Thibault) (05/10/89)

Hi!
   I've got a question which I was wondering if someone could help me with.
Has anybody out there ever heard of a software package called SOLOMON?  It
is either a database package or some type of accounting software.  I'm
trying to find out if anyone out there has used it as I have a friend whose
company is currently using and having a lot of problems getting features
they need!

   My understanding is that SOLOMON runs on PCs set up under some type of
networking software.  If anybody has any knowledge of this system, could you
please send me e-mail, so we can discuss some specific issues?

   Thanks a lot!

 -- Michelle

Michelle Thibault                         INTERNET:  mrt@uoregon.cc.oregon.edu
Networks Programmer (& grad. student)     BITNET:    mrt@oregon
University of Oregon 			  ** "I don't claim anything, so why
Eugene, Oregon 97401                          should I have a disclaimer...?"

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (05/14/89)

In article <1758@oregon.uoregon.edu> mrt@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michelle Thibault) writes:
|Has anybody out there ever heard of a software package called SOLOMON?

Solomon is an accounting and inventory control package.  It is quite
good and quite expensive.  While it *can* be run on a single PC, it's
not very cost-effective to do so.  I believe it is intended to be
networked with Novell but it has been awhile so I could be mixing it
up with R:Base.

Solomon has consistently been rated "excellent" by reviewers, both for
its features and its documentation.  The product is one of the best
PC-based products on the market.

You pay for this excellence; I believe the base system was around
$3000 and additional modules cost around $1000.  These prices are
purely from memory and should not be considered accurate; I'm just
giving you an idea of what you'll be getting into.  If you need what
Solomon provides, it is definitely worth the money.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (05/18/89)

In article <1758@oregon.uoregon.edu>, mrt@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michelle Thibault) says:
>Has anybody out there ever heard of a software package called SOLOMON?  It
>is either a database package or some type of accounting software.  I'm

I vaguely recollect that Solomon is a full featured Accounting System
built in one of the datbase languages available from mdbs, Inc., of
Lafayette, Indiana.  They make the Guru Expert System, Knowledgeman,
and what they call a "post relational" system called (I think) mdbs.

"Post relational" seems to mean they have a relational language overlay
on a network model implementation, so the administrator can get high
performance by setting up certain commonly used access paths, yet the
users can still write the occasional bass ackwards query.