[comp.databases] ShareBase Servers

tods@blia.BLI.COM (Tod J. Sambar) (05/23/89)

>>From: mokky@cscvax.essex.ac.uk	 (Mok K Y F)
>>I asked for information on Database Machines and Database accelerators
>>in the market 3 weeks ago.  I am particularly interested in the following:
>>  1. What database machines are currently available in the market?
>>  2. What kind of applications in which they are used? In particular, what
>>     are the sizes of the relations being processed? cardinality? tuple size?
>>     What is the (approximate) number of relational operations involved to
>>     solve a problem? tens? hundreds? thousands? or more?
>>  3. How is their performance compared with software DBMS?

>From: Chris Barr <barr@uucp.frog>
>Subject: Dbms machines, accelerators
>Date: 5 May 89 13:56:34 EDT (Fri)
>
>Teradata has the high-end marketplace, Britton-Lee the low end.
>I've read an article saying B-L is losing sales to '386-based platforms
>running Oracle or other PC-based rdbms's, networked via Novell or similar
>protocol.

--------------------------------------

ShareBase Solution:

ShareBase Corporaton (formerly Britton-Lee) provides a high performance
RDBMS solution (marketing now calls it an SQL Database Server BLA!)
The great majority of ShareBase's customers are Fortune 500
companies (finance, aerospace, telecommunications, petrochemical and
manufacturing industries) and government agencies who demand exceptional
performance and the ability to intermix transaction management with
decision analysis.  Over 800 ShareBase systems are currently installed in
production operating environments.

ShareBase offers a complete RDBMS solution including: on-line dump,
on-line disk reformatting/mirroring, transparent checkpointing,
read-thru write locks, stored commands, and stored programs.
Over 50% of ShareBase customers use the Servers in operating
environments 11hrs+ per day 5.5 days a week.

Specifically addressing mokky@cscvax:

1) Teradata has a high-end RDBMS - it's proprietary Y-net archatecture
is very good for transaction management type jobs (basically, they run
a bunch of 386's in parallel), but suffer greatly for decision analysis
(multi-way joins kill them because the 386's don't share memory).
ShareBase has a range of Servers and has just come out with it's Server/8000
operating at the high end of the RDBMS market.

2) Sizes of tables varies depending on the application.  It is not
atypical for ShareBase customers to have 5 and 6 way joins over
multiple megabyte tables.  Even more common are "octopus" or "star"
queries where one central database (often several GB's) is joined
on multiple smaller tables.  (ShareBase Servers can accomodate 100GB+)

3) A ShareBase Server/700 (~$70K) outperformed Oracle V6/TPS on a VAX 8700.
And a ShareBase Server/8000 (~$340K) was six times faster than Oracle V6/TPS.
ShareBase significantly outperforms software DBMS solutions primarily due
to its proprietary hardware architecture including: I/O design,
indendent processors to handle the communication
protocol (thru ISO client level), and 9 years of Client/Server software
development.  (And we have a DAC in our Server/700 model -- it's pretty
slick, but proprietary like so much these days...  :-(

For technical questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Tod Sambar
Engineer
ShareBase Corp.
tods@blia.bli.com
(408) 378-7575 Ext. 2517

The views expressed here are my own, and the rest of the
standard disclaimer junk.  Though I got some of the B.S.
above from our marketing group.  :-)