[comp.databases] Clipper index files

root@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Super user) (06/07/89)

***
*** In article <8652@chinet.chi.il.us>,
*** csc@chinet.chi.il.us (Craig Curtin) writes:
***

>Problem:
>
>	when linking the ndx.obj file with my application everything works
>	fine. (db3 compatible) when not linking in this module the seeks
>	go off to never-never land and cause all sorts of nasty things to
>	occur (ultimately to a machine reboot)

Have you checked to see if the .ntx files exist if you create the
application without linking in ndx.obj?

How about some more information?

Stephen
email ...!sunybcs!cpl-mfh!syeoh

csc@chinet.chi.il.us (Craig Curtin) (06/08/89)

hello clipper users (anyone out there?),

yeah i know most readers are *nix users but i am having some problems
with clipper/db3 that i am hoping someone will have answer for.
this is with the summer '87 version of clipper, MS-DOG 3.3.

Index file background:

	clipper allows two types of index files.
		1. n.dx are db3 compatible
		2. .ntx are clipper's faster index file format

	to be db3 compatible you must add in the ndx.obj when linking your
	clipper application. if the ndx.obj file is not linked then the default
	is the .ntx type index.

Problem:

	when linking the ndx.obj file with my application everything works
	fine. (db3 compatible) when not linking in this module the seeks
	go off to never-never land and cause all sorts of nasty things to
	occur (ultimately to a machine reboot)

thanks for your assistance.

craig curtin

	(email)	chinet!csc