[comp.databases] Faircom's C-Tree, R-Tree & D-Tree

scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) (06/12/89)

I'm on the market for an easy to use / powerful set of packages to handle
1 - Indexed File access, 2 - Screen Handling, 3 - Report Generation and
4 - SQL.  So far I've come across C-Tree, R-Tree and D-Tree from Faircom.
The C-Tree looks great as does the D-Tree (Display stuff) the R-Tree looks a
little week but for some quick and dirty reports may be fine.  Just write the
more complex stuff in C.  But they don't have a SQL package (yet?)

I was woundering if anyone has comments on the packages or similar packages
and would care to share them....

I've also been looking at various DBMS packages for higher end applications
but I DO like to ability to port the Faircom packages to ANY cpu I want plus
I have source!

Comments please!

Thanks in advance.

----Scott

Scott Boake                                       Palantir Systems Inc.
scott@boake2                                      P.O. Box 2142
..!uunet!pdn!boake2!scott                         5030 - 78th Ave North Ste. 10
+1 (813) 544 - 8152                               Pinellas Park, FL 34664

steinar@fdmetd.uucp (Steinar Overbeck Cook) (06/13/89)

In article <266@boake2.UUCP>, scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
> The C-Tree looks great as does the D-Tree (Display stuff) the R-Tree looks a
> little week but for some quick and dirty reports may be fine.  Just write the
> more complex stuff in C.  But they don't have a SQL package (yet?)

The problem with R-tree is that it is rather limited in handling
datamodels in which you have several sibling nodes. I.e. if your
datamodel is designed thus :

						 person
						   !
					+------+-------+
					!      !       !
                child   terminal abcde

R-tree has problems with reporting all the entities which
belongs to 'person'. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is rather
akward.

In general I would say that R-tree is a little unfinished yet, the
documentation reflects this too.

Regarding C-tree, I do agree, it is a good package, easy to use, easy to
install and with good documentation.
--
Steinar Overbeck Cook, Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY
Phone : +47 2 52 80 80                            Fax   : +47 2 52 85 10