[comp.databases] RE : DBASE IV help needed

jpp@cs.nott.ac.uk (John P Pantouvakis) (06/14/89)

In article <8906071917.AA23075@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> Chris writes :

>I have a small problem with DBaseIV.  In my program, I create a textfile
>using the SET ALTERNATE command.  If I run the program more than once, I'd
>like the new text file to append itself to the end of the old one.  Is this
>possible?  Right now, the program just pops up a window asking me if I want
>to overwrite the old file or cancel the operation.

Well, I had the same problem with dbase iii +. Here is my solution (there
can be better solutions but at least this one works !)

 Say that you want to create a file called A.TXT
 Instead of creating A.TXT you create a temporary file, say, B.TXT
 in which you put whatever you wanted to put in A.TXT.
 Once B.TXT has been created, you append it to A.TXT (using something
 like "RUN TYPE B.TXT >> A.TXT")
 Then you DELETE FILE B.TXT to clean up the system and you end-up with
 the desired result.

Have Fun

John.

John-Paris Pantouvakis		  " If you can't convice them
Dept. of Computer Science			 confuse them "
University of Nottingham	  tel : +44-602-484848 ext. 3814
Nottingham, NG7 2RD		  e-mail : j.pantouvakis@Cs.Nott.AC.UK
UK