[comp.databases] Ingres available on sparcstation?

pa2352@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Mark Geller) (06/14/89)

I've heard that Ingres will be ported to the Sun Sparcstation.  Has
this been done yet?  If not is there any news as to when?

I've seen RTI posters so I know someone who reads this group should
know.

Thanks.

jpoole@ucsd.edu
jpoole@ucsd.bitnet

davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg) (06/15/89)

In article <449@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa2352@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Mark Geller) writes:
>I've heard that Ingres will be ported to the Sun Sparcstation.  Has
>this been done yet?  If not is there any news as to when?

I do not work in Product Marketing so I can not give you an official date.
All I can say is that I've heard it's very far long and should be
available within a month's time, if not sooner.

Call 800-4-INGRES or your local salesperson
for better information.

Dave Kellogg
RTI New York City

[This is defintely not an official statement of RTI!]

>Thanks.
>
>jpoole@ucsd.edu
>jpoole@ucsd.bitnet

robinson@boone.med.unc.edu (Gerard A. Robinson) (06/16/89)

I've had the opportunity to run the RTI INGRES for our Sun-4/280 on a
Sparcstation-1 during a demo session here on campus.  I've been promised
the machine for a day-or-two (most likely over next weekend) to actually
run a benchmark suite.  I couldn't build the pseudo-device lock manager
into the kernel as I didn't have time to get the kernel built and
installed.  As it was (with the lock daemon), all ran well and *nicely*
quick, even with the asynchronous SCSI, internal 105 MB disks (I'd be
*very* interested to see performance with the much faster synchronous
SCSI drives).  This was all with version 5.0 (compiled under SunOS 4.0).

Gerard Robinson
(I'm totally irresponsible, so don't even expect me to claim these words
:-)