[comp.databases] Accounting/Finance/Business-operations-database system needed

aiko@cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes) (06/15/89)

Hello.  I have been asked to find out what is available off the shelf in
the way of business accounting/finance/database systems for use in a
company of about 100-300 people.  It will be implemented probably on a
PC.  They are looking for something that is already available and usable
with minimal modification and setup.  Since I really have no interest in
that particular field (although it does seem to be my job) I don't
consider myself an expert.

Does anyone out there know of any software systems of this type that are
available and which are good or bad and what it is that they do???

Any help you can offer will be kindly appreciated!

Thanks,
john
--
    ---{john hayes}  Old Dominion University; Norfolk, Virginia USA
                     internet: aiko@cs.odu.edu

                      <++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++>
Are you a Have or a Have_Not?  Because if you're a Have_Not, you've probably
had it; whereas, if you're a Have, you've probably got it and are going to
give it away at some point in the future!       --- The Clash
                      <++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++>

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (06/15/89)

From article <9236@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, by aiko@cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes):
> Hello.  I have been asked to find out what is available off the shelf in
> the way of business accounting/finance/database systems for use in a
> company of about 100-300 people.  It will be implemented probably on a
> PC.  They are looking for something that is already available and usable
> with minimal modification and setup.....

I answered a question like this by mail, but they keep coming.

A few years ago I was looking for an accounting system for a sailing
club.  It's the kind of club where every member does a little work,
and we have no building, so the cash budget is minimal, but the
organizational structure is complicated.  Anything that would handle
the complexity of our low-budget, many-hands operations would cost too
much, so I wrote a system from scratch, combining features from some of
the systems I looked at.

Companies differ greatly in their needs, not only depending on number
of people.  Are the 100-300 people doing service or manufacturing?  Do
they need job costing?  Fixed asset depreciation?  These are not
standard features of all packages.  Most have only accounts receivable,
accounts payable, and payroll, in addition to the general ledger.

The question included a database-system component.  Why?  How closely
does the database system have to be integrated into the accounting
package?  If it is to perform special functions peculiar to this
business, somebody is going to have to program those functions into
it.  That doesn't sound like minimal modification and setup.  For
some industries there are special-purpose packages already designed.

My advice to the first inquiry was for the friend to save some trouble
and expense in the long run by finding a good reliable consultant to
get a system that's right for the application.  I can only repeat that.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

ccjoan@castor.ucdavis.edu (Joan Gargano) (06/16/89)

In article <1458@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:
>From article <9236@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, by aiko@cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes):
>> Hello.  I have been asked to find out what is available off the shelf in
>> the way of business accounting/finance/database systems for use in a
>> company of about 100-300 people.  It will be implemented probably on a
>> PC.  They are looking for something that is already available and usable
>> with minimal modification and setup.....

SBT in Sausulito, CA produces a set of accounting packages using
FoxBase.  Each accounting package can be used alone or linked to other
related packages.  We use accounts receivable, sales orders, accounts
payable, payroll and general ledger.  All the the modules are linked
to general ledger.  Sales orders is linked to accounts receivable.
Payroll is linked to accounts payable.  There are other packages such
as professional billing, purchase orders, etc.  You can purchase the
source code or compiled versions and the set of programs that best fits
your needs.  SBT also maintains a list of vendors who have customized SBT
for specific businesses, bakeries, florist shops, welding shops, etc.

We found the system easy to install an use.  We recommended the
packages to three other businesses who purchased a full set of
packages and are up and running without any problems.

Joan Gargano * Univ. of Calif., Davis, Computing Services * (916) 752-2591
Internet   jcgargano@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu
BITNET     jcgargano@ucdavis
UUCP       {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!jcgargano

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (06/20/89)

In article <4680@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ccjoan@castor.ucdavis.edu (Joan Gargano) writes:
>In article <1458@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:
>>From article <9236@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, by aiko@cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes):
>>> Hello.  I have been asked to find out what is available off the shelf in
>>> the way of business accounting/finance/database systems for use in a
>>> company of about 100-300 people.  It will be implemented probably on a
>>> PC.

A couple of years ago at a startup company we wrote our own in short
order useing Smart, before discovering several commercial products were
available to run on top of the SmartWare system: rdbms + spreadsheet +
w.p., comms, calendar.  They're in Hutchinson, KS, merged with Informix a
year or so ago, frequently rated tops among integrated s.w. packages
(especially in West, Midwest).  Joining among multiple spreadsheets,
speed, database the strongest module rates very well against DBase/Foxbase,
and a new, revamped user interface version came out some months ago.

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (06/24/89)

In article <1529@frog.UUCP> barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) writes:

>A couple of years ago at a startup company we wrote our own in short
>order using Smart, before discovering several commercial products were
>available to run on top of the SmartWare system: rdbms + spreadsheet +
>w.p., comms, calendar.  They're in Hutchinson, KS, merged with Informix a
(actually Lenexa, KS, in the "heart of the Silicon Prairie")

>year or so ago, frequently rated tops among integrated s.w. packages
>(especially in West, Midwest).  Joining among multiple spreadsheets,
>speed, database the strongest module rates very well against DBase/Foxbase,
>and a new, revamped user interface version came out some months ago.

The new version, SmartWare II, began shipping this month.

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!