[comp.databases] DBaseIV help needed

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/08/89)

I have a small problem with DBaseIV.  In my program, I create a textfile
using the SET ALTERNATE command.  If I run the program more than once, I'd
like the new text file to append itself to the end of the old one.  Is this
possible?  Right now, the program just pops up a window asking me if I want
to overwrite the old file or cancel the operation.  Ideas anyone?  Please
send replies to me directly.  I'll post a summary of the juicier ones.

Chris Mauritz
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (06/11/89)

In article <8906071917.AA23075@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> I have a small problem with DBaseIV.  In my program, I create a textfile
> using the SET ALTERNATE command.  If I run the program more than once, I'd
> like the new text file to append itself to the end of the old one.  Is this
> possible?
>
> Chris Mauritz
> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

The ADDITIVE keyword added to the SET ALTERNATE command does exactly what
you want.  The following syntax:

a = IIF(FILE("Foo.txt"), "ADDITIVE", "")
SET ALTERNATE TO "Foo.txt" &a

will add to, rather than overwrite, the existing file "Foo".  If "Foo" doesn't
exist, it will be created.  The only reason for the added complexity is if
you want the program to work identically whether the file exists or it doesn't.
If all you want is to add to a file which you know exists, leave off the IIF
line and replace &a with ADDITIVE.

I wish all the dBASE IV problems people had were so easy!  Hope it helps.

/alastair/

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/26/89)

HELP!  I scoured the documentation of DBASEIV and it doesn't say anything
about printing to a laserprinter.  Is it possible to send postscript
output to my Apple Laserwriter II?  I have my lonely PC connected to a
network of Mac pluses and Mac II's.  I would love to be able to send my
output directly to the laserwriter.  I had been collecting everything
in a txt file and then used WPerfect to send the files to the printer, but
this is proving to be tedious.  Any suggestions?  I cannot believe in this
modern age of laserprinters that Ashton-Tate has not added support for
them.  Please, tell me I'm wrong...

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Columbia U, where the women
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |are few and the sheep are
(c)All rights reserved.       |nervous.  :-)
------------------------------+---------------------------

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/27/89)

In article <8906261639.AA02226@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> HELP!  I scoured the documentation of DBASEIV and it doesn't say anything
> about printing to a laserprinter.  Is it possible to send postscript
> output to my Apple Laserwriter II?  I have my lonely PC connected to a
> network of Mac pluses and Mac II's.  I would love to be able to send my
> output directly to the laserwriter.  I had been collecting everything
> in a txt file and then used WPerfect to send the files to the printer, but
> this is proving to be tedious.  Any suggestions?  I cannot believe in this
> modern age of laserprinters that Ashton-Tate has not added support for
> them.  Please, tell me I'm wrong...

No, you are not wrong.  dBase does not output Postscript at all.  But you
still may be able to do what you are wanting.  More information is needed,
though.

Here are some questions:
(1)  Is you PC connected to the LocalTalk network with a LocalTalk PC card?
(2)  What type of software are you using with it?  PC LaserWriter software
     (included with the card), AppleShare PC, TOPS print?
       [ If you are using AppleShare PC, you can configure one of the
         printer ports to emulate an Epson printer and translate what any
         software sends to that port into Postscript.  I believe that
         TOPS print does this also.  Plug:  AppleShare PC can do this and
         more.  University prices are less than $90 a copy.  Now, AppleShare
         PC is being bundled with Apple's LocalTalk PC card. ]

That ought to cover it.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/27/89)

I am using a leading Edge xt compat with an AST 286 accelerator card.  The
machine is connected to a TOPS network and I'm using TOPS Netprint to deal with
the laserwriter.  I tried using the epson emulator, but it just plain doesn't
work.  I can't believe Ashton-Tate expects to get the kind of money they're
asking for DBASEIV and they do not support ANY laserprinters.  Sheesh.  If I
had my way, I would have told my boss to purchase Oracle, but unfortunately
he purchased it before my arrival.  sigh....

Regards,

--