[comp.databases] Lisp to Oracle interface

bds@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry D Smith) (07/12/89)

We've been writing a Lisp to Oracle interface for a program we are
developing on Suns running Lucid Common Lisp 3.0.  Since Oracle doesn't
directly support Lisp, the needed functionality is written in C, and
we use the Lucid to C foreign function call interface.

Up until recently everything worked fine.  Then we upgraded the Suns
to SunOS 4.0.3, upgraded Lucid to support this OS, and upgraded Oracle
to v. 6.0.  Now Oracle still works correctly over a network, but the
Lisp interface doesn't.  After Lisp finishes loading all files and
libraries, we receive the message that the foreign symbol _uname is
undefined.  Any attempt to make a connection between Lisp and Oracle
results in a segmentation violation.

We have tried about everything we can think of, but with no success.
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  Thanks.

Barry Smith

alr@rd1632.Dayton.NCR.COM (alr) (07/18/89)

In article <59244@linus.UUCP> bds@mbunix (Smith) writes:
>We've been writing a Lisp to Oracle interface for a program we are
>developing on Suns running Lucid Common Lisp 3.0.  Since Oracle doesn't
>directly support Lisp, the needed functionality is written in C, and
>we use the Lucid to C foreign function call interface.

I've implemented the same kind of Lisp-Oracle system as a consultant for NCR.
I ran into the same _uname problem when I upgraded.
I fixed it by:
1.  calling (in my Makefile) the System V C compiler
/usr/5bin/cc   instead of the standard C compiler
2.  including "/usr/5lib/libc.a" in the list of foreign libraries
which I load into Lucid.

Mike Komichak
komichak@dayton.ncr.com
Liszt Programming, Inc.