[comp.databases] is there a PC Ingres ?

kalina@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Glen Kalina) (06/15/89)

	I work with a colleague who doesn't have access to the net and has
a few questions about Ingres.

	*  Is there a PC Ingres ?

	   If yes:

	*  Does it run in protected 286/386 protected mode?

	*  Is it so large that it takes up scads of memory so that nothing
	   else can run?

	*  Does it run with MSWindows?

Thanks!

glen kalina
kalina@hptm1.hp.com
ucbvax!hplabs!hpda!kalina

robinson@boone.med.unc.edu (Gerard A. Robinson) (06/16/89)

Yes, there is INGRES/PC.  Its a fairly complete port of RTI's product
line to the PC.  Memory has been a problem in the past, but the most
recent version (that we have :-) /08 automatically will use 128K of
extended memory.  Applications that we've built on the Sun's and VAX's
have been fairly easily ported to a PC.  Access to db's on our Sun
server is available through an async connection, so that the user
interface (front-end/client) can reside on a PC and work against the
database server (backend).  This even works with the PC on the end of
TCP/IP terminal server telnet'd into a Sun.  I don't know that
it works with Windows (I didn't read *ALL* the PC docs since it does
work much the same as our big machine versions), but you may run into
some memory limitations with that configuration (based upon local vs.
remote data manager, size of table/form etc.).

Gerard Robinson
(I'm totally irresponsible, so don't expect me to even claim these words
:-)

robf@squid.rtech.com (Robert Fair) (06/16/89)

>	I work with a colleague who doesn't have access to the net and has
>a few questions about Ingres.
>
>	*  Is there a PC Ingres ?
Yes there is

>	*  Does it run in protected 286/386 protected mode?
- PC-INGRES for MS-DOS will run on most any 8088,8086,80286,80386 machine,
  without protected mode.
- 386-INGRES runs under various UNIX/XENIX OSs to full advantage of the
  the capabilities of the 386.
Both have INGRES/NET etc, but personally for a 386-size machine I'd
install UNIX and run the multi-user version.

>	*  Is it so large that it takes up scads of memory so that nothing
>	   else can run?
No, in addition the current version for MS-DOS will (optionally) use
expanded memory to reduce memory usage even more.

>	*  Does it run with MSWindows?
Not sure.

>Thanks!
>
>glen kalina
>kalina@hptm1.hp.com
>ucbvax!hplabs!hpda!kalina

Robert L. Fair
RTI Tech Support.

atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) (06/17/89)

Where can I get Ingres for the PC?

Anthony Tieu

markh@rtech.rtech.com (Mark Hanner) (06/17/89)

In article <2986@rtech.rtech.com> robf@squid.UUCP (Robert Fair) writes:
>In article <see above> kalina@hptm1.hp.com (glen kalina) writes:
>>	*  Is there a PC Ingres ?
>Yes there is
>
>>	*  Does it run with MSWindows?
>Not sure.

Ingres for PC's works fine under MSWindows/386. All you need to do
is create a DOS shell window that requests 640k, and follow the
directions in the manual for starting up Ingres. One caveat: do NOT
set the Exclusive bit in the PIF setup for the DOS window, as the
Alt - is trapped by INGRES; you can switch windows using the mouse.

cheers,
mark

[disclaimer: this is based on my own experience with several large
applications, and is not an official declaration of Relational
Technology.]
--
markh@rtech.COM
"The two most common substances in the universe

davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg) (06/19/89)

In article <17889@usc.edu> atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) writes:
>Where can I get Ingres for the PC?
>
>Anthony Tieu

800-4-INGRES is the easiest way.

Dave Kellogg
RTI New York

jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) (07/23/89)

In article <5910005@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, kalina@hpcupt1 (Glen Kalina) writes:
>I work with a colleague who doesn't have access to the net and has
>a few questions about Ingres.

Does he have access to a phone?
These questions are best put to your local RTI sales rep.
Many exist and have been trained to answer phone calls :-)

>Is there a PC Ingres?
>Does it run in protected 286/386 protected mode?
>Is it so large that it takes up scads of memory so that nothing
>else can run?

Yes.  Not to my knowledge.  It fits in 640K.  Don't expect application
software to turn DOS into an operating system.

-- Jon