[comp.databases] Graphael's GBase

chiu@mtcs.UUCP (Andrew Chiu) (06/02/89)

Is there anybody can show me what is Gbase from Graphael and what are
it's feature.

Patricia David gave a short introduction in Datamation, May 15, 1989:
"The advantage of an object database is that it can look at nonstandard
 data sets, such as graphics and large binary files.  Object database
 can also look at other databases and treat them as objects."

Can Gbase achieve that?

Where can I get further information of Gbase?

mao@hpclmao.HP.COM (Mike Ogush) (06/15/89)

/ hpclmao:comp.databases / chiu@mtcs.UUCP (Andrew Chiu) / 11:29 am  Jun  1, 1989 /
>Is there anybody can show me what is Gbase from Graphael and what are
>it's feature.
>
>Patricia David gave a short introduction in Datamation, May 15, 1989:
>"The advantage of an object database is that it can look at nonstandard
> data sets, such as graphics and large binary files.  Object database
> can also look at other databases and treat them as objects."
>
>Can Gbase achieve that?
>
>Where can I get further information of Gbase?

You can get further information by contacting Graphael at

	2685 Marine Way, Sute 1209
	Mountain View, CA 94043
	415/969-6575

            or

	255 Bear Hill Road
	Waltham, MA 02154
	617/890-7055

--

    Mike Ogush

    California Language Laboratory
    Languages and Methodology Operation
    Data and Languages Division
    Hewlett-Packard Company

    ...!hplabs!hpclmao!mao  or  mao%hpclmao@hplabs.hp.com

jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) (07/23/89)

In article <790003@hpclmao.HP.COM>, mao@hpclmao (Mike Ogush) writes:
>Patricia David gave a short introduction in Datamation, May 15, 1989:
>"The advantage of an object database is that it can look at nonstandard
> data sets, such as graphics and large binary files."

If by this Patricia means that less exalted databases can't support
images, she is wholly incorrect.  I've heard similar myths repeated
elsewhere, so she's hardly alone if so.

>"Object database can also look at other databases and treat them as
>objects."

What Patricia means by this, or indeed what anyone might mean by such
a statement, is beyond me.  Making it hard to answer such reasonable
questions as

>Can Gbase achieve that?

Since I don't know what "that" is.  Maybe Patricia knows and will
someday tell us in some form that's clear and correct.  Then we can
decide for ourselves whether it's a good thing to be treated as an
object :-)

-- Jon