[comp.databases] Representing missing values in databases

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Louis Englander) (07/24/89)

Does commercial database software generally have a way to represent
missing numbers?  I'm using Fox on the Mac, and the best i can do is use
a value (-99) that is unlikely to appear naturally in the data.  This is
problematic for fields that are, say, one character logical fields, etc.
I really do need to distinguish between 0 and missing, or false and
missing.

Other Mac software (e.g. Igor {scientific plotting}, compilers) uses the
special value NaN (Not a Number) for this purpose; it seems like it
would be simple enough to incorporate it in a program like FoxBASE.
--

                                               - Scott

brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) (07/26/89)

In article <9571@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Louis Englander) writes:
>Does commercial database software generally have a way to represent
>missing numbers?  I'm using Fox on the Mac, and the best i can do is use
>a value (-99) that is unlikely to appear naturally in the data.  This is
>problematic for fields that are, say, one character logical fields, etc.
>I really do need to distinguish between 0 and missing, or false and
>missing.
>
>Other Mac software (e.g. Igor {scientific plotting}, compilers) uses the
>special value NaN (Not a Number) for this purpose; it seems like it
>would be simple enough to incorporate it in a program like FoxBASE.

Well most relational systems use SQL and use a value of NULL to mean
no data.  C.J.Date doesn't like this and E.F. Codd thinks there should
be 3 valued logic to account for this... no easy solution to this
problem.   The real difficulty is in how do you treat NULL when doing
agregate operations on the data... is it considered when calulating
averages etc.   And how do you treat dates etc. oooo its a problem...
One solution is to let this No Data value be configurable for every
column in table...

Brian  | UC San Francisco        | E-mail: USENET, Internet, BITNET
Colfer | Dept. of Lab. Medicine  |...!{ucbvax,uunet}!daedalus.ucsf.edu!brianc
       | S.F. CA, 94143-0134 USA | brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
       | PH. (415) 476-2325      | BRIANC@UCSFCCA.BITNET
       "Leave your body and soul at the door ..." -- Oingo Boingo