[comp.databases] Focus

davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (07/15/89)

I see a lot of mention of Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, etc.  While I have \done a project using Ingres, I cannot help but feel that good old FOCUS is
not that bad a product.  Setting up screens is about 1.E+6 times faster than
in Ingres.   The performance isn't all that bad either.  I've benchmarked
Focus 12 times faster than Datatrieve under VMS.  I've read benchmarks that
had Focus 12 times faster than dBase III in the PC version.

So what's all this leading up to?  Simply this; Information Builders has
several Unix releases out.  Has anyone out there used them?

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) (07/23/89)

In article <835@lakesys.UUCP>, davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:

>I see a lot of mention of Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, etc.  While I have
>done a project using Ingres, I cannot help but feel that good old FOCUS is
>not that bad a product.  Setting up screens is about 1.E+6 times faster than
>  [subjective performance descriptions deleted]
>[they have] several Unix releases out.  Has anyone out there used them?

Dave, I haven't used any of IBI's UNIX products, but I've had a good deal
of experience with their PC product and some with a couple of their mainframe
products.  They *all* seem to perform quite nicely with a consistancy across
platforms.  I've dealt with IBI's tech folks over the phone and in person, and
they are competent and knowledgeable.

If their UNIX product is any different, I'd be *very* surprised!

Rick Plavnicky
{...}!sun!cup.portal.com!plav
"My shoes are on top of the world!"

brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) (07/26/89)

In article <20692@cup.portal.com> plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) writes:
>In article <835@lakesys.UUCP>, davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) writes:
>
>>I see a lot of mention of Oracle, Ingres, Sybase, Informix, etc.  While I have
>>done a project using Ingres, I cannot help but feel that good old FOCUS is
>>not that bad a product.

FOCUS is not a relational database system and for all the reasons I
want a relational system are the reasons I don't want FOCUS!

>>[they have] several Unix releases out.  Has anyone out there used them?
>
>Dave, I haven't used any of IBI's UNIX products, but I've had a good deal
>of experience with their PC product and some with a couple of their mainframe
>products.  They *all* seem to perform quite nicely with a consistancy across
>platforms.

There are others which also do this... and are relational.
Brian  | UC San Francisco        | E-mail: USENET, Internet, BITNET
Colfer | Dept. of Lab. Medicine  |...!{ucbvax,uunet}!daedalus.ucsf.edu!brianc
       | S.F. CA, 94143-0134 USA | brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
       | PH. (415) 476-2325      | BRIANC@UCSFCCA.BITNET
       "Leave your body and soul at the door ..." -- Oingo Boingo

davef@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (07/26/89)

>FOCUS is not a relational database system and for all the reasons I
>want a relational system are the reasons I don't want FOCUS!
>
>=============================================================================
>Brian  | UC San Francisco        | E-mail: USENET, Internet, BITNET
>Colfer | Dept. of Lab. Medicine  |...!{ucbvax,uunet}!daedalus.ucsf.edu!brianc
>       | S.F. CA, 94143-0134 USA | brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
>       | PH. (415) 476-2325      | BRIANC@UCSFCCA.BITNET

Hmmmm.  I don't seem to recall any messages which suggested that FOCUS was
a relational database.  Perhaps it was line noise the original posting
encountered on its way out to the coast.

I suppose I could mention the joins which are possible in Focus.  Joins to
other databases and/or native files.  Joins hard-coded via cross-reference
keys, or joins on-the-fly.  But I won't.

I could even mention a product called Focus Vision which has been storing
and retrieving video and text.  The product has been out for over 3 years.
I guess I won't do that either.

For such a terrible non-relational product, it seems funny that so many other
vendors have gone thru lengths to incorporate features which Focus had first.

DF